Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

the "THING" in front of the fuel pump???..

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:48 AM

I have an '86 GL10 turbo...what is the very small canister attached to the one end of the fuel pump...a small regulator or check valve???...

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:04 AM

It may be a fuel filter.

#3 89Ru

89Ru

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Nashville TN

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:00 PM

Ha Ha I have just had lots of fun with this 'thing' it has many names but according to the FSM its a 'damper'

Mine just recently started leaking (a few recent posts to this effect). I dissected it and found a spring inside with an equatorial diaphragm, its some kind of pressure damping device, perhaps to compensate for the fuel pump?

89Ru

#4 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:04 PM

Yep found that on my pump when I replaced it here recently. Mine had rusted away to nothing and litearlly disinegrated in my hand when i touched it. I just used a Ford truck EFI cheap replacement from Napa. Arch is running the same one on his EA82 MPFI and it seems to be working fine on my EA82 SPFI.

Napa and everyone else wanted $200+ for a "new" EA82 SPFI/MPFI/Turbo fuel pump :(

I can dig up the part number if you want. Hopefully you can find one at a junkyard or something and get it replaced MUCH cheaper.

#5 89Ru

89Ru

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Nashville TN

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:04 PM

whoops, doh! Posted Image just re-read your post. What I was describing was the 'thing' several inches in the line after the fuel pump, but duh you were asking about a gizmo on the fuel pump itself.

Sorry, don't know! I wondered that myself!

#6 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 08 September 2004 - 03:45 PM

that would be a real help if you could get the part #..Thanks

#7 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 08 September 2004 - 04:13 PM

that would be a real help if you could get the part #..Thanks

Sure no problem:

napa sells an inline pump for some ford truck for 35 bucks. 50 gph, with 90 psi
works on whatever you want
part #2p74028

its round, so you can use a coil bracket to mount it in the stock location, cheapest one i have been able to find.

They actually wanted $75 when I bought mine. Either the Napa I went to is expensive or people cought on how cheap those high flow/pressure pumps were so they upped the price... dunno which or what it is but it sure beats $255 they wanted for a new Subaru one! Wish I could have scored one at a junkyard. Woudl have been way cheaper than $75 but oh well its brand new :)

#8 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:38 AM

Hi Morgan.. I would appreciate the part # for the flow thru fuel pump...The # that Archemitis gave has only 6psi, not 90psi?? ,according to Napa's in fo...Thanks

Sure no problem:

They actually wanted $75 when I bought mine. Either the Napa I went to is expensive or people cought on how cheap those high flow/pressure pumps were so they upped the price... dunno which or what it is but it sure beats $255 they wanted for a new Subaru one! Wish I could have scored one at a junkyard. Woudl have been way cheaper than $75 but oh well its brand new :)

#9 89Ru

89Ru

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Nashville TN

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:33 AM

Morgan's pump works on his 'roo, can't argue with success and the price and stock mount is great, but...for another try autopartsgiant.com, they have several pumps for the '86 EA82T starting at $96

I have one on order (Python Injection) 'cause the 'thing' (strainer, whatever) looks like it could blow any day now, but can't testify that it works yet or will even fit in the stock location

89Ru

#10 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:10 PM

ya napa must be smokin crack lately, cuz mine was 45 bucks, thenmorgan went 6 months later, and they charged him almost double. mines supposed to be 90lb, 50gph? something like that. should work for any fuel injection that subaru put on an ea series car.
if you go to napa, just make them look, it was on a ford truck that had one pump in the tank, and one near the front of the vehicle. they will find you a $150 one first, then find the 65, then miraculously, they will find the same part for 45bucks :grin:

that damper is supposed to be there to keep the vibrations of the fuel pump out of the pressure flow. like little pressure pulses instead of a constant solid flow. you can feel the pressure pulse in my rubber lines, but works great!

id recommend this napa one, or a junkyard unit. dont pay more than 70

#11 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:46 PM

Thanks....

ya napa must be smokin crack lately, cuz mine was 45 bucks, thenmorgan went 6 months later, and they charged him almost double. mines supposed to be 90lb, 50gph? something like that. should work for any fuel injection that subaru put on an ea series car.
if you go to napa, just make them look, it was on a ford truck that had one pump in the tank, and one near the front of the vehicle. they will find you a $150 one first, then find the 65, then miraculously, they will find the same part for 45bucks :grin:

that damper is supposed to be there to keep the vibrations of the fuel pump out of the pressure flow. like little pressure pulses instead of a constant solid flow. you can feel the pressure pulse in my rubber lines, but works great!

id recommend this napa one, or a junkyard unit. dont pay more than 70

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users