Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater blower motor problem

Since last week my heater blower has begun to make intermittent screaching noises, mostly at the faster speeds. I think the motor bearings are beginning to dry up. Car has close 220,000 kilometers.

Anybody has experience with this? Is it possible to lubricate the motor's bearings or do I have to buy a replacement motor? 170$ USD at 1stSubaruparts. A little expensive...

Turn the radio up. Or, go to the J/Y and buy a used one. With 220 k on the clock, how much longer do you expect to own it?
I expect to reach at least 300,000 kilometers with it and at 20,000 kilos a year that's another four years. Not rust showing yet and the engine feels and sounds as new. Turning the radio up is not an option cause these sounds mean the motor will soon seize. With winter coming... I prefer an ounce of prevention...

Since last week my heater blower has begun to make intermittent screaching noises, mostly at the faster speeds. I think the motor bearings are beginning to dry up. Car has close 220,000 kilometers.

Anybody has experience with this? Is it possible to lubricate the motor's bearings or do I have to buy a replacement motor? 170$ USD at 1stSubaruparts. A little expensive...

I have one I scored from the junk yard. My brother though he needed one, but did not. Let me know if you want it.

I have one I scored from the junk yard. My brother though he needed one, but did not. Let me know if you want it.
Thanks a million for the offer rweddy.

I'll try to find a cheaper after market one here first and if no go, maybe we will be able to make a deal. From where would the part be shipped and do you know how old it is?

Thanks again for the offer.

Djmark7, thanks for the link. I'll try Napa here first to avoid shipping costs if possible. Will keep you posted.

Thanks a million for the offer rweddy.

I'll try to find a cheaper after market one here first and if no go, maybe we will be able to make a deal. From where would the part be shipped and do you know how old it is?

Thanks again for the offer.

Djmark7, thanks for the link. I'll try Napa here first to avoid shipping costs if possible. Will keep you posted.

You are welcome.

The motor was out of a 93 LS Wagon with 90K on it. We were actually able to get a lot of nice parts off this vehicle, not usually such low mileage units in the yard.

Anyway I would be shipping from Colorado zip 80401