Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Redline ATF

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 charlierh2

charlierh2

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Minneapolis, MN

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:32 PM

Ive heard all about what Redline MT can do... so lets stick to ATF here.
1997 legacy 110,000k AT (obviously). it has always shifted a little hard and went for a long peroid of time with no ATF change, one done since then. i was wondering if anyone has any expierience with the ATF products vs there MT's? its coming into winter so with sub zero starts and all what can i expect as far as smoothing out shifts.
thanx very much Charlie

#2 Adnan

Adnan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Fremont

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:08 PM

Hi,

While I haven't used it in a Subaru, I have used Redline D4ATF in another car, in a manual gearbox. It cured a perpetually notchy shifter and quieted things down noticeably.

Others I know who have used it an automatic (non-Subaru) also have been very pleased with it.

Regards,
Adnan

#3 shortlid

shortlid

Subaru Nutcase

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • Derry, New Hamphire

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:17 AM

I flushed and filled, changed screen and gasket on my '97 Legacy L Wagon EJ22, with 4EAT! I put AAMCO semi-syn. ATF in it. I belive it shifts firmer now but more predicatable!! It also goes ALLOT longer with out geting dark! It was only $2.99 a qt. at AutoZone.

Joel

Ive heard all about what Redline MT can do... so lets stick to ATF here.
1997 legacy 110,000k AT (obviously). it has always shifted a little hard and went for a long peroid of time with no ATF change, one done since then. i was wondering if anyone has any expierience with the ATF products vs there MT's? its coming into winter so with sub zero starts and all what can i expect as far as smoothing out shifts.
thanx very much Charlie[/QUOTE]

#4 RodA2003

RodA2003

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • CA, USA

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:58 PM

What is the best way of flushing the AT? Another post suggested removing the return line from the ATF radiator (top hose?) and runiing the engine for a short time.

#5 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,643 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:24 PM

I ran the Redline D4 ATF for a little while. I can't say it made my tranny any better, but it probably didn't break down as easily. It's a shame because I probably got less then 8,000 miles out of that fluid before I did a tranny swap.

#6 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:38 PM

Like Adnan I run it in my BMW manual.

#7 shortlid

shortlid

Subaru Nutcase

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • Derry, New Hamphire

Posted 29 September 2004 - 08:50 AM

What is the best way of flushing the AT? Another post suggested removing the return line from the ATF radiator (top hose?) and runiing the engine for a short time.

There was HUGE thread on the old Ultimate Subaru server on the process of removing the cooler lines and flushing the tranny. But, if you keep on top of the fluid changes every 30K, or the old fluid does not look that bad, you should get away without it.

Joel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users