Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shifter diagnosis

I put gl10 on the ramps for the first time lastnight. She's not in bad condition minus the rocker panels being almost see thru. But I did find I need some parts and I'm hoping you folks can help me find em. At the back of the shift linkage, it looks like there should be something there to hold it too where it overlaps the crossmember on the body. To possibly stabilize the shifter from vertical movement.

Am I correct, and if so what is it called and where could I find one?

My inboard right side cv boot is toasted, the cv clacks a fuzz, but I'm just going to repace the whole 1/2 shaft. Does anyone know the size of the nut on the spindle so I can order one when I order the 1/2 shaft?

And finally, the rear tranny mounts seem to be separated. In other words, where the rubber looks like it should be vulcanized to the flat pieces of steel that are bolted too both the tranny and also to a crossmember, I can push up on the tranny and I see a void about 1 mm open up . My local parts guys does not even list these mounts, do you folks think I need new ones, if so...where can I find them.

I'm going to do the cv and linkage thing first and see what it does to the banging underneath the car. Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

I put gl10 on the ramps for the first time lastnight. She's not in bad condition minus the rocker panels being almost see thru. But I did find I need some parts and I'm hoping you folks can help me find em. At the back of the shift linkage, it looks like there should be something there to hold it too where it overlaps the crossmember on the body. To possibly stabilize the shifter from vertical movement.

Am I correct, and if so what is it called and where could I find one?

My inboard right side cv boot is toasted, the cv clacks a fuzz, but I'm just going to repace the whole 1/2 shaft. Does anyone know the size of the nut on the spindle so I can order one when I order the 1/2 shaft?

And finally, the rear tranny mounts seem to be separated. In other words, where the rubber looks like it should be vulcanized to the flat pieces of steel that are bolted too both the tranny and also to a crossmember, I can push up on the tranny and I see a void about 1 mm open up . My local parts guys does not even list these mounts, do you folks think I need new ones, if so...where can I find them.

I'm going to do the cv and linkage thing first and see what it does to the banging underneath the car. Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

I think the axle nut is 36mm, BUT - it usually comes with the rebuilt axle if you go that route. At least it does when I get mine from Advanced Auto ~$60 for a reman. axle...

I think the axle nut is 36mm, BUT - it usually comes with the rebuilt axle if you go that route. At least it does when I get mine from Advanced Auto ~$60 for a reman. axle...
I only have a NAPA store loacally, I lost my socket set when I recently moved, so now I need to buy the axle nut socket again :banghead:

the bang you hear would be the tranny hitting the bottom of the body casue of the crappy tranny mounts

i had the same problem in my 3 speed auto

when i yanked the tranny out

and both mounts came out in 2 pieces... i somehow suspect that it was not intended to be a 2 piece mount setup :)