Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Timing belt/chain on EA-71

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mattrav

Mattrav

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Lake Tahoe

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:04 PM

Ok...now I am officially doudly confused. The guy at the local auto parts store told me there is no timing belt on an ea-71. Is this true? I am so new to this I don't know if I trust that.

Thanks again, Matt

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:08 PM

Ok...now I am officially doudly confused. The guy at the local auto parts store told me there is no timing belt on an ea-71. Is this true? I am so new to this I don't know if I trust that.

Thanks again, Matt

It is a chain (*EDIT - This is wrong: its gears. See next post. END EDIT*), as is the later/larger EA81. Timing belts are used on the EA82 engines and newer. This is one reason why the ea71/81s are liked by people who need rugged engines... no belt worries.

#3 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:10 PM

do you new guys just refuse to search? must you make a new thread for a simple question? I mean we all were new once and all but still
no it does not have a timing belt or chain, it uses gears. just like the EA-81, but the EA-82 does in fact use timing belts

#4 Mattrav

Mattrav

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Lake Tahoe

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:16 PM

do you new guys just refuse to search? must you make a new thread for a simple question? I mean we all were new once and all but still
no it does not have a timing belt or chain, it uses gears. just like the EA-81, but the EA-82 does in fact use timing belts

Every time I have posted here I have searched first. Just trying to learn.

Thanks for the answers.

Matt

#5 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:20 PM

Sorry, brain-fart. You are right about the gears, of course.

As far as Search, I was in charge of programming a search engine for 10 years. I STILL have not figured out how to get this one to work beyond simple-term search.

#6 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:22 PM

i to have done searches and have found nothing , and i am not a new member

#7 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:28 PM

same here for posts that I have done that I wanted the info again and actualy had to dig back to find them

#8 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:57 PM

:grin: one time when I was bored, I called the parts store for an ea81 timing belt he said his dad worked on subarus, and he would look for one

I call him the next day and he can't find one :lol:

#9 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 19 October 2004 - 05:07 PM

:grin: one time when I was bored, I called the parts store for an ea81 timing belt he said his dad worked on subarus, and he would look for one

I call him the next day and he can't find one :lol:

I may have been too scatter-brained to think through my response, but you are just SICK and CRUEL!!! :lol: Torture puppies and blondes, do you?

#10 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:11 AM

ok so I tried searching for info on this and came up empty, so I apologize for being rude. but still this is the reason we need a FAQ for this forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users