Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looked at a 02 OBS F/S today, thoughts?

Specs:

02 Outback Sport - White

2.5L engine

5-speed manual tranny

100,400 miles

Exterior was nice, had the optional fogs. Nice stock alloys, new rotors and pads all around, brand new tires, great paint. Tail pipe had a lot of "soot" for lack of better wording in it and around the tail pipe cover (burning oil?). Interior left some to be desired...cigarette burns in the seats and that oh so wholesome smell of tobacco (my girlfriend and I are not smokers). Dealer wanted $9,900 for it.

This was a car I would be interested in more so if it wasn't smoked in (smell and the seat burns are a big turn off!) but it is a whole lot nicer than my 95 L. What could be causing the soot in tailpipe? Mileage wasn't a concern for me, but would it be wise to have caution with a car that was driven approx. 50,000 miles a year?

Thanks,

Kevin :)

Keep yours. The 2.5's arent the engine that goes forever like the 2.2 you have. You can put the more modern seats, stereo, etc in yours and make it feel alot like the newer one without the hassles.

The smoked in feeling can be hard to overcome if you aren't a smoker.

thanks for your opinion shawn :) I have about 110K on mine as it sits in the driveway. For the past year I have done a lot of highway driving and its just not comfortable for 3-4 hour drives. It still runs great, however, I am also looking to switch to a manual tranny vehicle. I am really searching for a '01 Impreza with decent miles since I love the body style.

By the way, for anyone that can run the vin for me it is JF1GG68512G803624. You can email me kjyoun01@hvc.rr.com , post it, or PM me. Thanks :)

That sounds like a lot of miles...

My suggestion: If you like the '02/'03 OB sports, at least consider a TS wagon. They are almost the same car, but they don't seem to keep their value as well, and sold for less originally anyway... that's good for you as a used car buyer. Don't like the stock steel wheels? Get a set of WRX takeoffs for $300 or so, keep your old wheels for snow tires. I got some WRX wheels w/ very low miles for $250. Don't like the lack of foglights? Less than $100 for a set of Hellas, better than the OEM ones. Ground clearance? The WRX wheels add a bit, now you're within a cm of the OBS. You get cruise control if you stick with an '03, I don't know if the '02 TS's had that.

You still will have drums in the back, that's fixable but not as simple as the two things I mentioned above. And, you *don't* have the '90's two tone look and graphics which I don't care for, of course that's personal opinion.

Steve

I'm coming up on 50k miles on my '02 OBS, and it being my first Sube I can't compare it to any other.

Your observation of soot in the tailpipe confirms that the soot in my tailpipe is normal.

With a used car, you'll generally have a choice between two odors; cigarettes or rump roast-crack sweat, take your pick. I do believe that you're getting the longer end of the stick there.

I've taken a few long trips in mine (18 hours straight through from Salina, Kansas to Detroit once), and I find the car to be really comfortable with the seat moved way back and reclined by about three notches.

My general impression of the car so far is this: A really rigid, good-handling chassis with a whole bunch of rattling, clunking and, vibrating parts attached to it. I have this constant cloud of head gaskets hanging over my head. Styling is a small step backward from the '97 - '01 IMO.

Kev, when we bought our '00 Legacy it had 99,850 miles on it ... and it was only 13 months old! We did the T-belt and front case stuff, and it specced as-new. We're now at 153,000 and have had only one issue, a bad front wheel bearing.

As for the smoke, I've had very good luck with Febreeze Auto. Vacuum the interior (including the headliner) and give it a good spray soak with the stuff, it actually works. I know, I smoke the occassional cigar late at night on long trips (nothin keeps you awake like a cup of road coffee and a cheap cigar), and it gets rid of the smell every time.

totally agree with OB 97.....look at a TS and see what you think.

I also believe that a 2-3yr old car with 100k says it was highway driven....in my mind that is better than a car that has 15K of stop and go downtown Boston type of driving...

Smoke smell can be cleaned out (detailed) so that is something I wouldn't worry about...

9900 for a car with 100k is too much in my opinion....if you are willing to drive a little I know I could find you something similar arond here for the same money or a little more (with a lot less miles though).

Matt