Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Having a problem filling my 2001 OB. Gas Pump keeps clicking off. If hold filler handle barely on, it will fill, but takes forever and may overfill and spill. Sub dealer replaced tank after checking all lines/valves - no better, just poorer.

Having a problem filling my 2001 OB. Gas Pump keeps clicking off. If hold filler handle barely on, it will fill, but takes forever and may overfill and spill. Sub dealer replaced tank after checking all lines/valves - no better, just poorer.

I have a 2001 OBW, no problems with it... I would suggest just to pull the nozzle back a little... But if the dealer replaced the tank thinking it would help, you must have tried that already...

I second the comment about pulling the nozzle back about an inch. If the tip of the nozzle is pushed in such that it rests on the 'bottom' of the filler pipe, it will often cause the pump to cut out. That's been my experience anyway, and not just with Subarus.

Commuter

I second the comment about pulling the nozzle back about an inch. If the tip of the nozzle is pushed in such that it rests on the 'bottom' of the filler pipe, it will often cause the pump to cut out. That's been my experience anyway, and not just with Subarus.

Commuter

Thanks for suggestion, but I tried that before I spent $700 changing the tank. The dealer assures me that they tested every line and valve before resorting to tank change. The original tank had a small dent in bottom, probably near where filler tube terminates. The tank change was the last theory the dealer had.

Dealer has now given up, but isn't giving back payment for faulty diagnosis/work.

Can anyone offer some tests to further diagnose? Thanks!

If the fill assy is the same as a Forester, there is a vent valve assy that is opened by inserting the gas nozzle in the filler tube. It then 'vents' the tank fumes to the charcoal canister during refueling. On the 99-01 Foresters this was a problem reported by some owners. Dealers who had seen it, replaced the valve assy. Those who didn't had the owners go elsewhere, or to a board like this to get the answer to take to the dealer.

Endwrench has the following writeup......

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/VehicleWont.pdf

If the fill assy is the same as a Forester, there is a vent valve assy that is opened by inserting the gas nozzle in the filler tube. It then 'vents' the tank fumes to the charcoal canister during refueling. On the 99-01 Foresters this was a problem reported by some owners. Dealers who had seen it, replaced the valve assy. Those who didn't had the owners go elsewhere, or to a board like this to get the answer to take to the dealer.

Endwrench has the following writeup......

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/VehicleWont.pdf

Thanks! Will take this info to dealer and let you know how we make out.

• 15 years later...

I replaced my kids rusted out fill tube with a junk yard IIRC forester tube. They seem to look the same. BUT having trouble filling without handle clicking off. Anyone have more info on the valve ferret was talking about or able to get link to show? Also when I tried filling at the pump I could hear the gas slowly filling up tube (the gurgling flow noise gets a higher pitch as gas backs up in  tube)before it clicks off in a couple of seconds.

Edited by bork

just had a similar problem with my 02 Forester - found out the small metal lines that the vent tubing connects to were rusted shut! including the ones to that little switch assembly. rusted so badly they snapped when i tried to pull the rubber tubing off.

got a new filler neck, with a new switch on it - installed, and presto, no more problem.

• Like 1