Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire size for 86 wagon w/toy rims and 4" lift

Vanislru

I've searched the threads but haven't had a lot of luck. So far it's come down to the cooper stt's.

My question is what size either metric/inches are you running?

Most of my driving is either up the moutains to ride or ski, or driving to the mountains. Some rock crawling and deep water bar crossings. Not much for mud around here. I'd like to sipe 2 for the front in the winter then move em to the back in summer.

30x8.5x15 maybe smaller I don't know.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Thanks bushbasher, what are you runnin right now?

That's the range I was thinking, might try to get a set for cheap from the wreckers first before i throw down on new treads.

I might go bigger, but i doubt it. 30's do look good. :brow:

Hows your wagon, any new pics?

4" lift? I'd get 30"x8.5" atleast :D with those toyota rims you should be able to go wider also. How about 30"x10.5"? I had a set of 30"x9.5" Baja Widetrack Radials on pug rims and 3" lift befor swaping out to 29"x8.5" but the pug rims had too much backspacing. The toyota rims I've looked at had beteen 3.5 and 4.5 inches of backspacing depending on what they cam off. The pugs have 5" :( so thats what limited my width to 9.5". You'll be flooring it a lot tho! :slobber:

I just found some Toyota IFS rims. They are 15x6 with 4 3/4" of BS. I'm planning on running some 30 x 9.50 BFG MT that are about 1/2 worn out and they measure 29" in Diameter on a 4" Lift for a 87 Wagon. I also have some 235x75x15 Goodyear Wranger AT and they are about 95% brand new and measure 29" in Diameter.

30s will suck for climbing anything around here, I have 31s but I chucked an extra t-case in there for a good reason ;) For snow and bombing around logging roads/mud pits they'll be OK but for crawling/climbing you'll be riding the clutch non stop. I stuck 30s on my wagon once to test, and immediately made up my mind to put a transfer case in.

I had 27 or 28" tires on a turbo wagon with a 4eat, and it managed to do some pretty crazy stuff, the auto was really slipping heavily though.

Yeah 30's are too big I'm leaning towards 27.5x9.5x15 or whatever the metric converts to something close to that anyways.

Still trying to convince the wreckers to give me a decent price, these are the same guys that crushed all the 80's cars and trucks. If I only knew they were gonna do this there were so many wicked parts cars in there. :banghead:

i just picked up a pair of Courser OTD's, 30'x9.5" for $100 from the local junk yard. I'm buying 4 toyota rims off an 80's pickup for $75. I still have to get two more tires, new they're about $85 apiece. The ones I got were hardly used, I'd say 99% of the tread is left. They look mean, and will require a lot of fender trimming to fit. Bring on the sawzall :banana: