Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise Control not working!

So I have the the 5 speed swapped into my wagon, and when I try to use the cruise control, the main switch lights up, but when I try to set the speed, nothing happens. Is this because I took out the 3EAT auto and replaced it with the five speed, or are the cables and such just not adjusted? Could also be that the vaccum stuff isn't hooked up, but with the turbo making positive pressure that would make me think it wasn't the vaccum thing. Please help, I like cruise control!

You need to make the dash think the car is in DRIVE at all times...and make the neutral safety switch switchable...turn it on so you can start the car...and turn it off so you cant start the car/have cruise control working.

Ive ran into this problem before on my wagon...;)

Ummmmmm.....im lost cuz you've got EA81 stuff....even if you've only got the Haynes manual, you should be able to find a pinout of the 3AT connector thats in the floor and play with the wires, watch the dash and figure it out pretty quickly....I know I was lsot when i did that too....but I got it figured qucikly.. ;)

• 2 years later...
Ummmmmm.....im lost cuz you've got EA81 stuff....even if you've only got the Haynes manual, you should be able to find a pinout of the 3AT connector thats in the floor and play with the wires, watch the dash and figure it out pretty quickly....I know I was lsot when i did that too....but I got it figured qucikly.. ;)

WJM,.....YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! I've been tearing my hair out over the CC on my '86 GL wagon.....the one where I had swapped out the AT for an MT...& wound up with nothing...including no hair! That is, until I read your note on the big female plug on the console that the auto shft selector once plugged into.

You are absolutely right in that you have to find the wires for the neutal safety switch (on the '86, it's the black w/yellow stripe and the black w/white stripe....next to each other on the female plug on the console). Make a jumper for that & the car starts.....BUT THE CC WILL NOT WORK!!

This morning, after getting underway, I pulled off into a parking lot & with the engine running, pulled the jumper I'd made for the neutral safety switch.

I pulled back on to the roadway, got up to 40mph, & pressed the button on the end of the turn signal lever.....and WHAALAAA...it held 40 when I removed my size 12 from the accelerator. I found the accel & coast functions to work perfectly....and all due to WJM. THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Here is my thinking: It matters NOT if the CC unit in your Sooby came from an MT or an AT donor. The most important thing to know is that the jumper needed on neutral safety switch of the AT selector plug must be removed for the CC to work. (if you're working with a Soob that was originally AT equipped)

I'm going to put a rocker switch in the faceplate of the radio (where the trip computer would go, if I had one), and connect it to the b/y and b/w wires I mentioned a few paragaphs back. Not only will it serve as a neutral safety switch bypass when in the 'on' position, but will serve as the CC 'on' button when 'off'. And here's something kinda neat::::if you leave the car with than switch on the 'off' position, it will serve as a security system for your Soob...for unless the person at the wheel knows to press that rocker to 'on', the Soob will never start!

Again, many thanks, WJM, for solving the problem with my formerly non working CC. I would never have thought of that.......and I've been through every stinkin' wire and every stinkin' vacuum hose in the CC system too many times to count.

BTW, Carfreak 85, the next 2 wires beyond the b/y and b/w controlling the neutral safety switch, is another (smaller) b/w wire and a green wire. These are the backup light connections. Jump those 2 terminals & your Soob back ups will light up. I ran a wire from the small b/w and another from the green from the console plug to the white plug on the MT. And WHALAH, I had backup lights every time I shifted into reverse.

I hope I've shed some light on your situation.

SG