Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TPS Wiring

1990 Subaru Loyale has a low idle and when I was cleaning the TPS I noticed that when I moved the TPS connector harness around with the engine running the engine idle would go back to normal. There is a short in one of the wires. Any checks or idea of which wire it could be? I think the short is real close to the connector of the TPS..

Thanks,

John

Could do an OHMs resistance test on the connector spade ends inside the plug there that plugs into the TPS itself. That will tell you exactly which wire is messed up. Then you can repair it from there.

Maybe someone with an FSM can give you the OHMs values to check against. Otherwise you can just wiggle the plug/harness a bit as you check each spade. Wath for one that either looses connection completly or the OHMs shoot way up.

Good luck!

my guess its not a short but infact corrosion

pull off the connector see any bluish green looking gook on the terminals?

get som contact cleaner and a tiny wire brush and clean as much of it off asyou can

found out some cheap nail files cut down to narrow strips work well for that kinda stuff

oh and wouldn't hurt to unplug the battery before doing it i am pretty certain the tps circuit is dead once the key is off

but eh.. easier to unplug battery than to fry the ecu

mine did this (XT6) and it was a short in a wire about 6 inches away from the connector. i should have stripped the wire to see exactly what it was doing. i spliced in a known good connector with a foot of wire and all has been good for a long time. every time i've had sensor issues it's never the sensor. i've had 5 XT6's and never replaced a sensor...except the O2 sensor.