Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dealing with a stuck O2 sensor?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phaedras

Phaedras

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • Somerville

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:17 AM

My sensor seems to have been in quite a while, how would I best go about in loosening it up? Besides that, there seems no way to get a wrench around the hex-shaped part of the sensor. Does one usually use pliers instead?

My sensor is the type stuck in the first catalytic converter.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,612 posts
  • WV

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:37 AM

can you get a wrench in there? that's what i always use. dropping the exhaust may give you more room to work with.

you could use a torch around the catalytic converter if you've done that before and know how to do it. torch the threaded area around the O2 sensor but not the sensor itself. then try to break it loose.

or spray the O2 sensor down with liquid wrench a couple days in a row.

#3 subiekid

subiekid

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 717 posts
  • Coeur d'Alene

Posted 17 January 2005 - 05:18 AM

I would invest in a o2 sensor socket, they are 1/2in drive and work like a breeze. I used to fight with them but now all I will use is a o2 sensor socket. It also gives you an excuse to add another tool to your collection!

Scott

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,612 posts
  • WV

Posted 17 January 2005 - 05:44 AM

O2 sensor socket i bought does not work on my AWD XT6, not nearly enough room between the sensor and front diff. vehicle dependent.

#5 BLACKSTONE

BLACKSTONE

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:51 PM

I remove O2 sensors all day (being in the exhaust bizz). I have strong faith in the 02socket system. If ever you cant get a box end on there, pop on the handy 02 socket, grab your wratchet and your good to go. Works like a champ on my 96 imprez, which problibly has the same setup as what your talking about.

#6 Phaedras

Phaedras

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • Somerville

Posted 17 January 2005 - 11:22 PM

The socket I got looked like it meant business, but sadly the clearance between the cat and the differential is too narrow to fit the socket, even less the socket and wrench assembly. :-(

http://www.ultimates...&sort=1&cat=500

This shows what i'm talking about. I've also now disconnected the sensor and my car doesnt seem to give a damn. No CEL, nothing. Not that I always want to be running around with an ultra-rich fuel mix...

#7 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,295 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:29 AM

the socket has a hex on the top so if a ratchet doesnt work, you can fit either its a 1" oe 13/16" open or box wrench

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users