Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings Fellow Subaru Owners/Enthusiasts:

I just took delivery of my brand new 2005 2.5L Ouback Wagon. Wow!!! What a car!! I love it!!

My questions/comments:

1.) Can I change my own oil without voiding my warranty? If so, how can I prove that I did? Everything is so accessible on the Boxer Engine, especially with the higher ground clearance!! Changing oil looks like it would be a piece of cake.

2.) I put very few miles (5,000/year or less) on my cars.....a lot of short trips, so I'd like to change my oil more often than the manual recommends. I kept my last car for 14 years.

3.) How do you feel about synthetic oils? Are they supposed to make the engine run cleaner and is it true that you can go longer between oil changes?

4.) Any tips for changing your own oil? Does the oil pump (through the dipstick opening) method work? I read on another website that this method doesn't work on Subarus, but it doesn't say which years/models. What's the best kind of receptacle to drain your oil into and where do you bring the old oil for recycling?

5.) What about aftermarket oil filters? Are they okay to use? Which ones do you recommend? I was told that Amsoil oil and oil filters are the best.

Any other tips, suggestions, etc. would be most appreciated. Thanks much.

Minnesota Subie

Since we're driving less now than in previous years, I've adopted to the 4 times a year oil change. (Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct) If we make a long trip, may 1 in between...

I've used NAPA 5W30 Oil (Valvoline makes it) and NAPA gold filters (WIX ??) for awhile and I like that combo...

Keep all your oil/filter purchase reciepts, buy as needed, so there is a record there.

Buy an Oil Change pan from a local shop, Wal Mart, NAPA, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, etc... The engine holds a little over a gallon (4.2 Quarts)

Make friends with a local repair shop, so that you can give them the old oil back. Seeing that you are in MN, chances are that they may even have their heating system running on old oil. I know a bunch of guys do here in NY.

Not sure what you mean on #4. I've always just drained from the plug and refilled from the oil cap on top.

1: Not sure about the legality issues, but you could change it more often, and have the dealer change the oil at the stated interval to keep your service book stamped.

2:Hmm, sorta answer your second question already. I would say that twice a year ought to be enough. Include the filter both times. If you detach the PCV hose that runs from crankcase to air-filter box you can check if you are chaning oil often enough. If this hose is starting to fill with sludge/snot/slime then you need up the intervals.

3:Synths are the business. I run Mobil 1, and have done so for a long time. Had a bad experince with Redline recently. Castrol RS is also good. Run the engine in on the oil that's in it. 600 miles should be enough to seat and seal everything.

4:Drain the oil via the pan plug. Fit a new washer and don't overtighten the plug - 40Nm/32ftlbs is enough. Fill the new oil filter with oil before installing it, this reduces the lag before full oil pressure is restored. (easy on a Sube since the filter screws on from the bottom!)

5:I like to stick with Subaru filters. I am sure that some aftermarket filters are just as good, but I can't be bothered to do the research. (By them all and dismantle and inspect. Plus, I don't have the equipment to pressure test them!)

Above all, enjoy your Subaru ;-)

Mobil 1 and puralator filters. I recently switched to those filters and have been VERY impressed. For winter around the cities in a new car I would use 0W-30.

If you don't mind me asking...from which dealer did you purchase and how much? We usually go to White Bear Acura Subaru but I personally hate them.

Go to Subaru.com and set up MY Subaru for your new vehicle. Along with recalls, you can keep track of you service history here and enter your own oil changes and mileage on the date you do it.

This way if there are any questions about service, you can point to the Subaru Website for your vehicle and the service intervals which were time stamped the date you entered them. Also any service done by Subaru is automatically entered here also.

Good place to find a recent service history of a vehicle registered by the original owner. Almost as good as a Carfax, but only for newer and Subaru's.

Did this for my 2002 Forester AND current 2004 Forester. I enter my own....and see the dealer service as well, like the coolant sealer recall for the 2002.

Most auto parts places will recycle your oil for free. There is usually a sign to this effect. If not, ask at the parts counter. You are correct in thinking that oil changes are a snap on Subarus. I never even have to jack the car up, and I don't spill a drop.

I like to wear latex gloves.

When I do oil changes!!

:lol:

I run nothing besides Mobil 1 and genuine Subaru filters. You can buy the Subaru filters by the case cheaper than most premium oil filters at the store.

Especially in your climate, synthetic is a good idea. Much better protection at start-up in the cold (and better protection when it's hot, and at high rpms, and...well, ANY TIME.)

I work at the Dealer, and I did oil changes for over half a year, and it is very simple to change the oil...

drain via drainplug (17mm)

remove and drain filter, wipe gasket surface, and install new OEM filter with light coating of oil on the o-ring. (be sure there is no grit anywhere on that surface!! that will cause it to leak a little!! ( i have seen it myself!)

hand tight only.. dont overtighten , or undertighten the filter-

replace drain plug with OEM crush washer (other ones dont work as well, trust me- i know from experience! on my own cars, and thousands of customer's cars too!) and tighten to 33ft/lbs max!!! (it will strip the pan if more)

dont forget to add oil!!! reccomended by subaru- synthetic or synthetic blend, 5w30, or yes, if full synth, then you can use 0w30 or 0w20 for colder temps... castrol, or mobil 1 is good stuff....

when you go to the subaru dealer, (to get your oil filter, and crush ring ;) ) ask them about the warrenty! (i dont even know about that one)

and good luck with your new subaru!!

I use only Subaru filters for my MY04 WRX. The reason for this is becuase of a recent filter redesign to fix a problem with the filter getting to hot. The filter was shortened to move it away more from the exhaust manifold.

Tips: fill up the filter (as said before) and once done and about to start the car, floor it before you start the car. this should make the computer think the engine is flooded and will give you a chance to get the oil circulated before any combustion pressures are applied to the unlubricated bearings.

Good luck and welcome to teh Subaru family.

joe