Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing Spark Plugs XT turbo,

Howdy All,

Got a question. I have a 05 Outback XT. Unlike my 91 Loyale where the plugs stand staight up. There is no room to access them XT plugs. Maybe from under the firewall behind the tires? Does not look rosy.

of the 2 photos one is a close up of the drives side plugs (weird eh) and the other a distance shot so you get an idea (weird eh?).

Any Idea?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Bill

post-2593-136027598777_thumb.jpg

post-2593-136027598785_thumb.jpg

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to change the plugs on a brand-new car under factory warrenty? Get the dealership to do it!! I can gurantee you that most any aftermarket plug will not give you stock performance in these cars. A number of people have wasted money on bosch platnums and similar, just to go back to good 'ol NGK. Also, newer spark plugs in newer cars tend to last a LONG time - so long I don't know if there is a specified replacement interval on some cars. If you are having a prob. - go to the dealership!!

Just to let you know ....

Sorry, I have not worked on anything newer than Loyale-era, so I can't give you any more advice on how to extract them. Be glad it is not a Dodge Caravan or relative.

I hear you.

I am a car nut. I cannot help but think of the future. It is only prudent.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to change the plugs on a brand-new car under factory warrenty? Get the dealership to do it!! I can gurantee you that most any aftermarket plug will not give you stock performance in these cars. A number of people have wasted money on bosch platnums and similar, just to go back to good 'ol NGK. Also, newer spark plugs in newer cars tend to last a LONG time - so long I don't know if there is a specified replacement interval on some cars. If you are having a prob. - go to the dealership!!

Just to let you know ....

Sorry, I have not worked on anything newer than Loyale-era, so I can't give you any more advice on how to extract them. Be glad it is not a Dodge Caravan or relative.

Remove the battery and the coolant bottle. Take the motor mounts loose and shift the motor. I haven't done it yet, but that is what I had to do to one WRX that I couldn't get to a plug. I am sure it is going to pay close to 2.0 hours. You will also need a socket with 3 bends to it but not 3 wobbly extensions.