Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I think it's beyond help..... Is it?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 justynough4me

justynough4me

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Regina, SK, Canada

Posted 25 August 2003 - 08:04 PM

This afternoon, my Justy started making a gawd awful noise.... It sounds like I'm driving a jackhammer! Did I throw a bearing? Or do I have a stuck valve? What could the problem be?

#2 gravelRX

gravelRX

Driven with both feet.

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 25 August 2003 - 09:11 PM

Give more info. RPM related? does it do it on idle, acceleration, what? Using the phrase "like a jackhammer" doesn't sound minimal. Me thinks you might have a problem. Expound fair sir!

First Day of Vacation,

Jay

#3 justynough4me

justynough4me

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Regina, SK, Canada

Posted 25 August 2003 - 09:32 PM

It appears to be more pronounced at around 2000rpm. Above there, the engine seems to settle, and once it builds oil pressure, it seems to be ok at idle. It's very pronounced, though, upon first starting the engine.

#4 xenongod

xenongod

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:09 AM

My thought would be connecting rod...I'm also a pessimist...dammit.

#5 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 26 August 2003 - 09:33 AM

Time to invest in a mechanic (read: needle) stethiscope. Any parts store worth walking into should have some on hand for around $10. Youll be able to diagnose a connecting rod from a push rod (are justys pushrod even?) from a valve etc etc etc

"until it builds oil pressure" -- scary...

#6 AKIRA

AKIRA

USMB Reverend

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • Jersey Shore (Central) PA

Posted 26 August 2003 - 09:52 AM

The only thing I have seen make a suby beyond help is rust.

#7 justynough4me

justynough4me

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Regina, SK, Canada

Posted 31 August 2003 - 11:38 PM

Well, I talked with a friend of mine... He listened to it, and suspects that one of the bearings has slipped, meaning replacing that, turning the crankshaft, resizing the connecting rod, and resizing the piston. Or, replacing the engine. Far too much work, and too costly. So, it's off to the junk yard for the ol' girl. Sucks, cuz I really like that car, but it needs so much other work.

As long as the engine was ok, I didn't mind putting the other work into it. But, now that the engine is shot, the car isn't worth fixing. It'd cost me $2,000 to fix now, and it's just not worth it.

#8 SubaRube

SubaRube

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • San Leandro, CA

Posted 01 September 2003 - 12:04 AM

I feel for ya. My 86 "Blubaru" game to a grinding halt last month.:boohoo: Not worth fixing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users