Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GCK Axles- Anyone tried these?

if those are the "new" ones Schucks carried for a short time, then I have tried them out... I bought one and used it for less than a week till it completely destroyed itself, when I was trying to turn my car around the DOJ came apart, and the axle came apart and fell out of the cup!!!

so I took it back and got a re-man.. which lasted untill ... probably still, I dont think it has broken yet (you would have to ask the guy that has it now!! :D )

i wouldnt waste my money on those again.. but thats just me!

Austin

So far, my "half-new" axles seem to be working well. They're made by Mevotech ( http://www.mevotech.com ). They have rebuilt inboard joints, and new outer joints that Mevotech actually designed themselves to be stronger and function better than the OEM design.

They do a similar thing for Honda axles, which I have heard are notorious for being crap.

I picked mine up from Auto Parts Plus (in Canada). They list for CAD$165 + $75 core, per axle. However, if you know the parts guys, they might give you jobber prices (CAD$100 + $75 core).

hey SubaRube,

I noticed your in the Bay Area, then make a trip up to Albany Driveline (in Albany). they make a quality rebuild along with custom 4wd stuff with a quarantee nice folks too. There into rock crawling/4wd stuff and do stuff right. Fair prices too. A few of us NorCals have been using them with satifaction, they are actually heavier than stock ones w/ much nicer boots = more material good.

shanonsf

82 GLW

Hey all,

If anyone is about to buy axles from a place that does custom work then it might be worth seeing if they would ship the guts out for cryogenic treatment before they assemble it. Diversified charges $1.65 each for parts under 4 oz and $5 per pound for non-specific stuff(which these are) so it would be probably $25 extra with shipping per axle to cryo the important parts. Still less than new SOA parts.

PS See how easily I spend other peoples money to test my ideas :D

PPS I use axles from NAPA and Autozone and they both suck equally but I am way too abusive with my driving.

shanonsf how much did those run aprox?

I just ordered a reman axle tonight for the RX the other side will need one soon.

I know GKN makes new axles for some subes. but it is a bit pricy 150 or so.

a bit unrelated but has any one had the inner bearing pop out when driving out the outer joint?

Originally posted by chef_tim

Hi Brad!!! Napa here uses CCT Axles. What brand do they use there on the Right coast???

Hi Tim whats shakin???

I'm not sure of the brand offhand but I will try to look tomorrow as I have one stashed at the garage. It is a plain cardboard box with black and red lettering for what thats worth. Say hello to Vicky for me.

Brad

Subarube and Rallyruss

The axles at United were $75, with a $35 core. Excellent quality. I don't think they do anything "space age" like ship or internet sales (they don't even take credit cards!), but their quality and knowledge of the product is worth it.

United Drive Line Service

810 San Pablo Ave

Albany, Calif.

(510) 527 6879

Oh yeah, one more thing.

ARI axles.

I cannot stress enough the importance of staying clear of ARI axles (greenish-blue and white box). Those are the absolute worst axles I have ever installed on my car. The retailers that sold them to me had no problem when I brought them back (and there were many different retailers).

I understand CVaxles.com has a pretty good product, some of the others here are familiar with them, I am not.

I've got 2 CCT's from Autozone on the Brat, and they've held up to the 6 and 30" tires now with no problems. They are lifetime warranty axles too, so if they do breaks, I jes take em back, and trade em in on some new ones. These are the front ones, haven't replaced the rear ones yet, haven't had too.

ARI and CCT are the same company, so I guess it's kind of a crap shoot when buying them. Carquest says ARI builds their CV's and of course CCT makes them for NAPA. I doubt either would put their name on a piece of shiite. Of course that doesn't mean you aren't still going to get some rubes in the bunch. I think I remember someone saying they got nothing but junk CCT's from Autozone. Go figure. Probably didn't cross his fingers when he bought 'em. :brow:

Anyone tried A1 Cardone axles?

• 2 weeks later...