Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rattley, clackitty noise

I have a weird noise coming from my right front wheel. It sort of sounds like the click that a blown CV joint makes. But it gets weird after that. It only happens when I turn right, not when I turn left. It only happens while the car is "coasting"...If I touch the gas or the brake, the noise instantly stops. It even stops, while I'm turning right, if I'm on the power, or the brakes. I can feel it through the steering wheel, and the floor under my feet. When I touch the brake pedal, the noise stops, but the steering wheel shakes for a little bit, until the brakes come on.

This wheel has new bearings, new seals, new rotor, and new pads. The CV was new before the ~3 year's of down time, while I replaced the head gaskets. (Yes, I know it shouldn't take that long, but I had other vehicles to drive, and other stuff to do).

I'm getting tired of throwing parts at it, in hopes of fixing it. My only guess is a ball joint. I had it jacked up today, and the ball joints seem to be tight, as do the tierod ends. And the wheel was tight too, when I took it off.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

RedLance

You most likely have a bad inner Double Offset Joint (DOJ) on one of your axles. These can be rebuilt, but you might as well replace the axle, since it's less of a headache. I have experienced the same symptoms you describe - I fixed it with a new right front axle. Ball joints - even when they are REALLY bad (trust me on this) will not vibrate - they will cause the vehicle to swerve left or right when you accelerate or brake. I just replaced one that had probably a good 1/4" of play in it. Wasn't pretty, but it never vibrated or made any noises.

GD