Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

86 Brat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 soobydaddy

soobydaddy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Florida

Posted 28 August 2003 - 05:48 PM

Im soooo happy I finaly found a brat:D
Its a 1986 5spd(im guessing on the "5"spd) and looks in the condition I was looking for.Has dent on drivers side but looks GREAT besids that.I have never had a Brat and was woundering if it will be like my old 85 turbowagon for off roading?Also any other info on it would be very helpful.:brow:
He said it needs carb work and I wounder what a carb is worth any1 know?(Webber?or a Rebult?)
I think the price is worth it(to me anyway since I REALLY want a brat) under 1000$ but what would it be worth to youzzz?Oh ya it has 99,000mil.
Anyway letmeknow
thanx
P.S. I MISS THE SPELL CHECKER:-\

#2 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 28 August 2003 - 05:55 PM

Nope. Its a 4speed. Dual range 4WD.

It will be alot better than your Turbowagon when it comes to off-roading. The Brat makes less power, but it gives you more power at low rev's. Making it great for off-roading.

-Brian

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 28 August 2003 - 06:00 PM

That sounds like a deal man - get it. Any running driving Brat is worth $1000, unless it's about to fall apart from rust. Replace the carb with a weber - or what I plan on doing - SPFI from an EA82. Also - sorry, but unless it's a 2WD, it's not a 5 spd - it's a 4 spd. Either single range, or dual range - to my knowledge, gen 2 Brats never came as 2WD, so it's got to be a 4 spd unless it's an Auto (yuck). And no - it won't be like your 86 turbo wagon for off-roading - it will be MUCH better. More ground clearance, and with a weber - more torque. Less power tho, and driving them on the freeway at 75 is a little scary. Brats especially because the visibility is different in them, and because they have a different cam, the engine has good low-end, but basically no top end at all.

GD

#4 ramperf

ramperf

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Clinton, Ohio

Posted 28 August 2003 - 06:01 PM

put a weber on it , it will make more power and have better throttle response. Put a better intake on it and you will realize the full poteintial of the weber. Throw the solex away.
Cheers
Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users