Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve noise? AND Vibrating tranny Query.

I recently bought a 5spd '91 Loyale, with 181k kms (113k mi's). Tis my first Subaru. Its my dream surf Wagon. Lovin' it. But I've got a couple questions.

I've got a "tick-tic-tic-tic" sound coming from the left side of the motor. Doesn't sound like a bearing going or anything. It is always there as far as I can tell. I've read a bunch of the threads on the dirty hydraulic lifters. I think that may be it. Is there any way to tell for sure? Or should I just try the MMO with 20W-50 solution and see what it does. :confused:

I'm more worried about my tranny/clutch. I haven't driven any other 5 spd Loyales - so I don't know if this normal: I get some nasty vibration coming through the shifter when I get above 3500 rpm. A knocking sound. The clutch seems to be engaging fine. No slippage noticed yet. I don't know when the timing belt was done last. But it is due to be done. My thinking was that the timing may be off - which at high rpm causes the engine to vibrate unnecessarily - which is transmitted through the tranny/clutch causing the knocking sound. When I let off the gas the knocking mostly disappears even at high rpm. At low rpm and idle you can feel the knocking by firmly grabbing onto the stick.

What do you think? ANY help you could give me on this would be great.

Ticking noise sounds like valve clatter. Lots of info on that from oil pump to oil pump seal to faulty check valve spring. I'd go the MMO route first since it's the cheapest, but don't expect success on the first oil change. One member took this approach and it took a year of driving before the valve clatter was gone. As far as the vibration is concerned, does the vibration go away when you let off on the gas? If so, check the rubber boot on the inner joint of the axles. Probably torn and vibration is due to a bad DOJ on that axle. Good luck.

My trany vibrates too. Mostly when I really get on it in 2nd and 3rd at 4500 to 5000. Asked the previous owners and they said it has always done that from new and they just never took it that high. I just assumed Subarus of this era were a little rough around the edges.

As for the valves...did the check valve fix a couple weeks ago and lovin it. Nice and quite. I wouldn't even bother with the additive...waste of money for me. My 91Loyale was originally bought in Victoria.....rad.

jeez another one on the island! That's 3 so far! Welcome to the board! I'm out in Sooke. If the knock vibrates when moving with the engine revving, but not when the car is stopped, it could be axles. I'm also thinking of worn engine/tranny mount rubber, or a broken mount. Could be predetonation or missing under acceleration. Just some more ideas.

About the vibration, go under and give all the axles and the driveshaft a good strong wiggle/turn, and see if anything is unusually loose...thats where I'd start on that.

Also, try CD2 Oil Detergent additive in the yellow bottle at NAPA. It works great if the lifters are dirty. BTW: The proper name for them is Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjusters (HVLA's). By the second or third oil change using 10w-30 with the CD2, the ticking should be gone...otherwise, Oil pump stuff! Oh, and change the oil reguarly! 2k-3k miles!

RedNed seems to have the exact same thing. I checked the axles and boots and everything seems normal. The vibration is different in different gears. I get the vibration worst when I'm above 3500 rpm in 2nd and 3rd. I get some vibration in 1st, 4th and 5th too - but not like 2nd and 3rd. Sounds like RedNed has the exact same thing going on. I didn't talk to the previous owner because I bought it at a dealer. I don' t know if its always been like that. I just shift now at fairly low rpm and it doesn't bother me much.

Hyraulic Valve Lash Adjusters... ahh... HVLA - (I can feel myself getting sucked into the lingo!) I'm definately going to try the CD2 Oil Detergent. I'm already using 10W30, so that makes life a hellova lot easier. If that doesn't satisfy me, I'll try rebuilding the oil pump and fixing the check valve.

Rad.. Thanks for the ideas!

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I have a 88 GL HB I get some nasty Vibration in Idle Speeds thats it, so logic would tell me the driveshaft is ok... I replaced the Air Filter a few months ago so I know it's not clogged or anything could it be the carb? I know it's the stock off the line Original Hitachi. I haven't checked the VAC lines... I just don't want to get ripped off at the local subaru dealer for something that I can probably do myself...

Thanks Terrance

Add another islander to the list:grin:

Grubaru, I had noisy lifters for a while too - and I mean ball bearings in the cam carrier loud. Tried it all and the final fix was a new oil pump (junkyard special) and reseal. I also use MMO in my oil (available at canadian tire). I've got an extra oil pump lying around if you need one, but try the additives first.

As for the vibrations, I've heard that the early 90's loyales do this. Don't have one myself, so I don't know - just what I've heard. Doubt it has anything to do with timing, but I have a timing light if you wanna check it out. Can't hurt to set it right anyway.

If you wanna do your belts, I can lend a hand if you need - I've done it 3 times now so I'm getting pretty speedy.

Welcome to the board:headbang:

Sweet. My timing belts are starting to rattle around a bit now... I'm probably going to try and get to them after Christmas. It would be awesome if there would be someone around to give me some pointers. I'll get in touch when I'm going to do it.

Add another islander to the list:grin:

Grubaru, I had noisy lifters for a while too - and I mean ball bearings in the cam carrier loud. Tried it all and the final fix was a new oil pump (junkyard special) and reseal. I also use MMO in my oil (available at canadian tire). I've got an extra oil pump lying around if you need one, but try the additives first.

As for the vibrations, I've heard that the early 90's loyales do this. Don't have one myself, so I don't know - just what I've heard. Doubt it has anything to do with timing, but I have a timing light if you wanna check it out. Can't hurt to set it right anyway.

If you wanna do your belts, I can lend a hand if you need - I've done it 3 times now so I'm getting pretty speedy.

Welcome to the board:headbang: