Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Trunk doesnt pop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kidwired

kidwired

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Sonoma

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:22 PM

I can hear the actuator and it will open if someone lifts it while I pull the release so I think the latch/cable is working. but there doesnt seem to be enuff spring tension (or whatever) to POP it open.
Is there a quick fix? or do I need to replace those tweaky bars?

Chris

#2 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:31 PM

Is it stiff? If so:

Try lubricating the hinges and everything else you can see with WD40 or some penetrating oil. If that helps, re-lube everything with white lithium grease.

#3 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • canada

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:36 PM

Kidwired,

It's not a big deal to pop the interior panel from the hatch, because its just held on with plastic plugs along the bottom (pull them with the flat edge of a screwdriver), and pry off the panel with your hand around its other 3 sides. Then with the hatch open, force the locking mechanism closed with a screwdriver, and then watch the locking mechanism while someone else unlocks the latch with the remote, or the power locks. You may find a bent rod, or a missing or broken plastic clip that holds the rod on the lock or actuator.

#4 kidwired

kidwired

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Sonoma

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:46 AM

Kidwired,
You may find a bent rod, or a missing or broken plastic clip that holds the rod on the lock or actuator.

I'll check it since I already sprayed anything that moved w/ lithium grease.

#5 jamal

jamal

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:13 AM

Mine doesn't work because there's a little tab broken off on the latch itself.

#6 vonzell

vonzell

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Rochester NY

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:44 AM

Mine doesn't work because there's a little tab broken off on the latch itself.

I am a little late but I hope this helps. My trunk would not open even though I could see the level moving by the latch. It pushes a little metal stick/rod that opens the trunk. The problem was the lever was bent back away from the stick/rod. I pried it up a bit with a screwdriver and bam it worked again. Let me know if you need pics.

1992 legacy L awd 110,000.

#7 kidwired

kidwired

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Sonoma

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:37 PM

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:48 pm Post subject: FIXED mine today.
I took everything apart trying to figure it out.

Its an alignment issue.

If your deck is already aligned skip 1 & 2

1. the hinge bolts allow you to adjust fore/aft but I also needed to adjust height of the trunk lid leading edge (closest to rear window).

2. To lower the leading edge simply open the trunk and push GENTLY forcing the trunk open. Adjusting the hinges this way individually. Careful it doesnt take much.

to raise the leading edge height place a 2x4 on end in your trunk, place the top end on your trunk hinge (the U-part). And press down gently (shutting trunk motion). I said GENTLY!!

3. Next align latch assembly. Checking mine I coud see the lid latch had some minor deformation on the pass side edge and no wear marks on the drivers side. The lower latch had the same pattern.

I loosened the 2 bolts on the lower and forced it left. On the the lid I loosened 2 bolts and forced it right.

This not only will prevent the uneven wear but allows the cable actuator to fully move the Valet switch forward to realse the latch.

*POP*
Good luck
Chris

#8 shortlid

shortlid

Subaru Nutcase

• Members
  • 556 posts
  • Derry, New Hamphire

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:42 PM

My Mom just called me from a parking lot. She can't opean the trunk on her '03 GT sedan with the lever next to the drivers door or the key in the lock in the trunk? She said the key will turn to the left but not to the right. The lever lifts but will not release the trunk. It does not bunde if she lifts on the trunk and turns the key. She has the original key to the car not the Valet Key. She did try the Valet key and it would not turn in the lock in the trunk! I think there is a small switch on the latching mechanism to lock out the use of the pop inside the car. But the key should still work to opean it even if this is triped by accident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users