Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Time for a different muffler

Well, the big @$$ muffler is going this week. Time for something a little quieter. I don't want quiet like 'stock quiet' though!, but this one sounds like I almost have no exhaust at all. I've already had stock sound on all my other Soob's. This one has to be different :D My husband had a cherry bomb muffler that we held up behind the current muffler and the sound is WAY quieter, but still louder and healthier sounding than stock. What kind of mufflers do y'all have in yours for a good sound? (mine has a custom y-pipe with no cats straight back to muffler of unknown brand/type, but it's big and loud for sure).

I've had a lot of cherry bombs; they sound poor IMHO but hey they cost $15 so you get what you pay for. If you want a glasspack get a Thunderbolt or Bullet. Flowmaster 40's are a good choice also for good sound but not a straight-through glasspack design.

I've had a lot of cherry bombs; they sound poor IMHO but hey they cost $15 so you get what you pay for. If you want a glasspack get a Thunderbolt or Bullet. Flowmaster 40's are a good choice also for good sound but not a straight-through glasspack design.

How much do the glasspack's cost?

• 3 weeks later...
9465new_muffler1-thumb.JPGthis is the one i want to install

mm-ms.gifthis is what my stock sounds like,after i have aftermarket installed.will do a recording an load it here.

That muffler is almost identical to the one that I had on it that was TOO loud. (Mine had a little shorter tailpipe that was cut straight instead of angled tho - and it sounded like I had NO exhaust system at all!). It looks exactly the same otherwise though - 2 1/4" pipe in, 4" tailpipe was mine. I ended up replacing it with a muffler that is shaped like the short cherry bombs, but it was done by the muffler shop (2 1/4" pipe in, and 2 1/4" tailpipe). It's still loud (husband says it sounds sweet), but not nearly as loud as the first one. Mine was $50 out the door installed - which I was pleased with!

Erik-

I like the looks of your setup. More details please.

Bill

thanks. i bought a new muffler for a XT and cut off the exit pipes because they hit the gas tank. i bent longer pipes and installed them in the stock location. its basically just a little louder than stock, not annoying at all, the engine itself makes more noise than the exhaust.

If you look at my avatar, you'll see what I'm running for exhaust. I've got a custom bent 2" pipe from the cat back. It splits into two just behind the rear axle and those are Harley-Davidson "cigar" type mufflers hanging under the bumper. Whole thing (including pipe) cost less than $80. Actually, I got the mufflers for free from the local Harley shop. Cost a bit less than $80 for the custom bent pipe (2" stainless...don't know why I went with stainless...) Anyway...runs good sounds good. Just my recommendation.