Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headers for an EJ Swap?

are you trying to put EJ22 headers on a EA82? if so, then no, the headers will not work, heads are farther apart on EJ22 motors, and some EJ22's have single or dual port exhaust. i used the stock EA82 headers/Y-pipe for my conversion, just bent the "Y" part out about an inch or so and cut one side, and added a piece of pipe to make it fit, you can use aftermarket headers for your conversion, or you could use the stock EJ22 header, i cut the weld off the "Y" pipe and gutted the inside, now only have one CAT instead of two. if you use the EA82 header, the pipe diameter is a little smaller than the EJ22 header pipe diameter, I think. if that is true, good for me, i wanted my torque down at lower RPM's anyway, you might not want that. remember your going to need to plumb in a 02 sensor, i plumbed mine in where the two pipes go into the "Y" pipe, right where the EJ o2 sensors are located, before the cat convertor.

~Josh~

are you trying to put EJ22 headers on a EA82?

~Josh~

Its an EJ22 in a 91 Loyale. I just wanted to see if any or all after market 2.2 headers would interfere with anything on the loyale underside. I am more of a V8 guy so I am used to headers interfering with everything from starters to suspension components. I know on Subs the headers drop out basically on the bottom of the motor (which kills most interference problems) but I didnt want to buy a set have find out the hard way that a different set would fit better.