Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

checking piston rings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 richieroo

richieroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Tehachapi

Posted 25 April 2005 - 03:57 PM

If I wanted to check the piston rings on an engine that is outside the car in the garage, what is the easiest way to do this without a "complete teardown"? I mean I want to know and see if one or more rings are broken. Can I just take off the heads and then remove the pin in the piston and pop them out that way?

Rich :)

#2 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,752 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:06 PM

A leak down test will test the cylinder's ability to hold pressure, not only is this useful for checking rings, but also valve guides and seals.

#3 richieroo

richieroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Tehachapi

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:08 PM

Yeh, but do I have to take it to someone for that? Who would do that?

Rich

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,643 posts
  • WV

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:25 PM

if you have an air compressor you can do a leak down test yourself with the right adapter. if you hook up a starter/trans to the motor and make sure it has oil you can probably attempt to test compression if you know what you're doing. just give the starter power to turn the motor over enough for a compression test. prop the throttle plate open. i wouldn't do that unless you're comfortable doing it of course.

yes you can remove the pistons like you say, after you pull the heads. take note of orientation and location of each piston before removal.

if you rotate the engine by hand, you can individually inspect each cylinder wall as the piston goes up and down. look for scuff marks and the condition of the cross hatching. any compromising of the cylinder wall will point to some piston and/or ring problems that you would definitely want to address.

#5 Craven

Craven

Just a guy with a Brat

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Midland

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:10 PM

A leak down test will test the cylinder's ability to hold pressure, not only is this useful for checking rings, but also valve guides and seals.

Piston rings and valves = yes, Valve guides and seals = no

#6 richieroo

richieroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Tehachapi

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:35 PM

Think I will have to lean on the idea of taking off the heads and looking for abnormal scoring on the walls. Cannot hook up a starter to it, and that is a good idea!

Thanks!

Rich ')

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users