Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed swap

Pooparu

I have an '82 3 door GL 4WD with a four speed transmission, and I was wondering if anyone knows of the best model and year for the easiest swap into my little GL. Also what would some of the cons be for this kind of swap? Mainly I just want to make it easier to drive on the freeway, but I don't want to do it if I'm going to loose any low end when off roading.

Thanks, Pooparu :headbang:

The main difference is the multi part drive line associated with the 5 speed.

The 4 speed has a one piece driveline and thats what the 82 is set up for.

The 4 speed has lower gears than the 5 speed but if you want it for freeway driving what about taller tires and no tranny swap?

Another thought is use the 4 speed driveline and have it redone to the proper length for the 5 speed tranny thus allowing you less headaches on the driveline install?

I have plenty of usless suggestions... :rolleyes:

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--shortened driveline

01 Forester--factory driveline

What's Jerry's Conversion kit for the shifter?

Get the 1 piece driveline made and balanced (51")

Buy Jerry's conversion kit for the shifter - it is sweet.

You'll need a different clutch set up for it also.

But mostly. make sure the tranny you're putting in is in good shape.

This step by step installation procedure is found in the USMB-Repair & Mod section. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=37

There are options to installing the 5sp into your vehicle. Jerry's kit retains the look of the stock linkage but is not neccessary for installation.

I have done this mod to every one that I have kept(4). I also have installed a number of them for other club members. It is an improvement over almost all 4sp's. This is an improvement with larger and even stock tires. Better cruising speeds and increased MPG in almost every case(depending on driving habits and techniques).

I was one of the first to do this mod in the states and currently have 2 5sp Brats.

Good luck!