Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all, i'm getting a bit tired of having to put a tarp down in my backseat to keep the bike mud off the interior, not to mention it kills my cargo space. I did some looking and I think the full crossbar/pillar kits are a little more than i need (plus they're a bunch more loot).

I was looking at two different racks, and was wondering if anyone had used either and had any recommendations.

Thule 889 - Velo Vise Fork Mount Rack Pack

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/images/products/889.jpg

Subaru OEM Fork Rack (made by yakima from what i've seen, hard to find accurate pictures though). About 25 bucks cheaper and comes with the carrier for the front tire.

Both say they'll mount to my factory crossbars (oval) '02 Leg. OBW.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

--Nick

Hey all, i'm getting a bit tired of having to put a tarp down in my backseat to keep the bike mud off the interior, not to mention it kills my cargo space. I did some looking and I think the full crossbar/pillar kits are a little more than i need (plus they're a bunch more loot).

I was looking at two different racks, and was wondering if anyone had used either and had any recommendations.

Subaru OEM Fork Rack (made by yakima from what i've seen, hard to find accurate pictures though). About 25 bucks cheaper and comes with the carrier for the front tire.

--Nick

Get the Thule, I have them on all my vehicles, they are the best you can get. I deal with used racks a lot and thule hold up much better than yakima.

I personally use the 889 on my outback and love it.

Go to a bike shop and get the little skewer dealy that you can screw down to a piece of board. Then all you have to do is take off the front wheel and seat post and you can stand your bike up in the back along the side...saves all your cargo space. I then use a ski strap to hold the bar to the oh sheet handle in the back and the thing is stable as can be. As for the tarp get some velcro and attatch it that way you can leave it in all summer and take it out easily if need be. I prefer the in the car method for gas mileage and keeping road n bugs off the frame. Happy trails.

Go to a bike shop and get the little skewer dealy that you can screw down to a piece of board. Then all you have to do is take off the front wheel and seat post and you can stand your bike up in the back along the side...saves all your cargo space. I then use a ski strap to hold the bar to the oh sheet handle in the back and the thing is stable as can be. As for the tarp get some velcro and attatch it that way you can leave it in all summer and take it out easily if need be. I prefer the in the car method for gas mileage and keeping road n bugs off the frame. Happy trails.

can you post a pic of this? i don't think i'm picturing this right...

I'll try tomorrow. Basically your bike is locked into the skewer thing that is made for truck beds and vans. And the handlebar gets held to the grip on the ceiling. Works great.

Great idea!!!

I would love to see this

The "Bike Tight" on the 2x4 is a good Idea and cheap too. We also deal with many racks and reccommend the yakima because the connection point to your bike is just like the QR skewer. The thule has a wierd two sided mech-thing that if not done perfectly, will cause yourbike to fall to one side and break off the dropouts. We've put new forks on a few bikes because of this.

The THULE systems are good. My wife has a Yakima setup on her Volvo wagon that we bought used, and itworks and has weathered well.

On my 95 Legacy wagon I bought a Reese system off eBay and I love it. If I had a wallet of cash I would have probably just gone out and bought a system from a bike shop made by one of the big boys, but this thing hooked right up to my factory rack and works like a charm. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56202&item=7152939738&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW I paid less for mine, though. I did have a couple of Yakima clamps that were made for factory Subaru cross bars that I used to simplify the install. The little aero wind deflector thing looks cool too.

This is an ugly pic, but it's the only digital one I have that shows my rack: http://bghsmtbclub.topcities.com/Subaru/subrack.jpg

It's all about money. If you got the jingle, buy a nice Yakima or Thule. If you're on a budget, get a house brand kit from www.performancebike.com or something off eBay. My Reese keeps me happy, and it looks nice on my car. Fork mounts rule--IMHO--over the upright mounts. (I've used both.) Be sure to get wheel carriers if you go fork mount.

--Nick

My vote is to go with Thule. I worked at a Bike/Ski shop several years ago and I've owned both Yakima and Thule rack and accessories. On my 05 OBW I currently have Thule crossroads, 50" load bars with 599 bike mounts, and load stops for the canoe. The Thule quality seems to be a bit better than Yakima's in terms of hardware corrosion and rusting over time (bolts, fasteners, etc). That said, both systems work equally well, and many accessories from each manufacturer can be used on the other's.

Just a word of caution: don't use Subaru's factory crossbars as load bars for the bike mounts, get the proper Thule towers and load bars . I used the Mighty Mounts that clamp right over the crossbars on my 96 OBW). They're fine for hauling the bike(s) to the park a few miles away, but on longer trips and on backroads where the car may be justle around from ditches, potholes, etc., the mass of the bikes wanting to sway from side to side will weaken the crossbars eventually. The factory crossbars work fine for cargo carrier boxs, ski equipment, etc.

Have had a Yakima system for four years in the salt country and I haven't noticed much deterioration. Personally, I feel the Yakima "image" suits Subarus (and most of their owners). Subaru of American obviously agrees. I used to have Thule on my Volvos and those knob fasteners for the rain gutter attachments would corrode in place. Finally, I just sold my last Volvo with "the rack included" because I couldn't get the damn thing off (Gawd- a 760 Turbo- what a freaking nightmare that thing was- the Swedes should stick to making beautiful women ONLY).

The only trouble I've had with the Yakima is the lock cores freezing (like everything else) in the winter.

Also, I have Yakima "rail rider" type set up and have toted a bike all over the northeast (fork mount) and have never had a problem (and I drive like Bo Duke on the backroads, no matter what I have on top of/ in the car).

I just happen to favor Yakima from personal experience and don't have volumes of experience like others.

Cardy 1/2MD

Another vote for Thule. My VWs came with Thule style cross bars back in the 80s, I've had the same Thule components since. My wife has had a Thule rack on her Landcruiser for several years here in salt country, with my old components on it. No corrosion at all. Off-brand rack components that fit Thule seem more common than round-style Yakima. I've removed my stock cross bars, and I'm making some blocks that will hold Thule cross bars to my stock rails. It won't be as strong as with Thule feet, but stronger than mounting to the flimsy cross bars, and cheap and convenient.

One other thing:

if you ever need a good and cheap fork mount bike rack, skip the yakima/thule and order a tray from Rockymounts for like 60 bucks. I've owned a bright green (yay!-no BORING BLACK) tray for a few years and it's weathered well despite great use. I also love that I've got a unique rack setup (I've only seen a few other cars on the east coast with a green rockymounts tray).

http://www.rockymounts.com/

Nothing cheaper or simpiler than my setup about $15 plus all the savings in gas if you cruise long distance on the highway especially...I left the "fork board" at my parents house so It'll be 10 days before I can get pictures up...woohoo almost outta here for the summer.

One other thing:

if you ever need a good and cheap fork mount bike rack, skip the yakima/thule and order a tray from Rockymounts for like 60 bucks. I've owned a bright green (yay!-no BORING BLACK) tray for a few years and it's weathered well despite great use. I also love that I've got a unique rack setup (I've only seen a few other cars on the east coast with a green rockymounts tray).

http://www.rockymounts.com/

it's only $60 if you already have yakima or thule crossbars. for the one that fits factory crossbars, it's $85. still pretty good looking...

I like my Thule stuff. It was expensive, though I expect it to last as long as the car. I was too poor to buy two V2s, and I only have one bike. Maybe I'll pick one up when I have time to get back into biking. The time three of us took my car to go riding we used my friend's trunk mount 2-bike carrier and mine.

The only problem I had was a lock cylinder falling apart, probably because I didn't maintain it properly.

The V2 is the newest fork-mount tray. Here's the best picture I have at the moment.

bikerack.jpg

And here's a bonus picture with the ski racks.

wrack.jpg

go with the yakima.. good stuff..

also, im not so sure id mount anything on factory rails.. they just never seem too sturdy to me..

The factory rails are fine, it's just the factory crossbars on the rails that are highly questionable (IMHO).

Most factory racks are fastened with rivnuts into the sheet metal. That's not especially rugged. If you load it up the feet flex and rub the paint, and can eventually rub through. They're great for occasional use and light loads, but serious use requires a more serious rack.

Most factory racks are fastened with rivnuts into the sheet metal. That's not especially rugged. If you load it up the feet flex and rub the paint, and can eventually rub through. They're great for occasional use and light loads, but serious use requires a more serious rack.

I put my Reese setup on my factory rack and it seems sturdy enough. I haul 2 30ish pound full suspension rigs around on a regular basis, and everything seems tight and solid to me. The max load for the factory rack is 100lbs--two bikes will keep you safely within that limit. Subaru offered a kit for their factory crossbars, so it can't be that risky of a deal...

I put my Reese setup on my factory rack and it seems sturdy enough. I haul 2 30ish pound full suspension rigs around on a regular basis, and everything seems tight and solid to me. The max load for the factory rack is 100lbs--two bikes will keep you safely within that limit. Subaru offered a kit for their factory crossbars, so it can't be that risky of a deal...

hmm.. and i wonder what legal jargon they have stuffed in there relaeasing them from any liability when the factory rack doesn't hold.

I've not heard of a factory rack coming loose in reasonable use. I have seen the feet flex enough to wear through the paint and start rust. I've also seen the holes for the rivnuts rust pretty bad, possibly from flexing in the holes, and the rivnuts spin loose when trying to remove the rack. I won't use my rack hard, so the factory rails will be good enough, but my cross pieces are pretty flimsy.

I believe the Subaru rails are bolt/nut mounted, at least on my 96 OBW. That area of the roof is reinforce. Never had a problem with the just the factory rails for *normal* loads (up to 4 bikes), canoes, etc.