Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why didnt they ever put an ea82 in ea81

why is that. is it just because you couldnt do anything without taking the motor out? why isnt there any ea82 cars with ea81s in them from the factory? and why wasnt there a turbo hatch? they turboed everything else! just wondering, dodge put a hemi in a dart, and it wasnt supposed to fit either! not that i am comparing subarus to mopar

I don't understand why they didn't make a turbo hatch, or why they ever mated turbos to automatics, but switching to the ea82 was new technology, overhead cams, etc, The ea82 cars were top of the line, they wouldn't put an old motor in them. After 85 ea81's were the bargain cars, just meant to be a cheap alternative.

There was only one turbo Hatch built by Subaru - the one used in the movie Cannonball Run. All others are fakes. I believe corky said he is in the process of negotiating to buy it....

They can be faked VERY easy since the entire front end of a hatch is the same as the front end of a Turbo Wagon, and all parts will bolt right up.

And on the EA81T - it was only mated to Auto's because it was a new technology, and Subaru could better control how the engine would be run in the hands of the consumer with the auto. They didn't want their name on something that turned out not to be able to handle the punishment of a clutch driven car.

GD