Ultimate Subaru Message Board

would anyone buy rebuilt EA81 or EA82s?

Carl, Dave and I have been working together, and we have decided to start rebuilding EA, and maybe even EJ engines... I have already done head work, and most evrything except rings and crank bearings (but will be done on next motor)

so we have the experience and such..

what I am wondering, is would anyone want to buy a rebuilt engine? right now the ones we are working on a lot of, is ea81s.. and some ea82s...

prices can vary, depending on if you have a good core, or parts for the rebuilt, or the level of rebuilt (just head work, just gaskets, or full rebuild.. ect.) or even things like the high compression ea81 mods and such..

we can also have them pre-installed with a weber too! (for carbed ea81/ea82)

so what do you guys think? could I get some buyers if I do this? anyone have an engine that they would like repaired or rebuilt?

(and keep in mind, they will be shiny clean too!)

the pic attached, has a "before and after" style to it, its one head, half way thru cleaning.. (remember, this is inital cleaning)

maybe i can quit using the hand-me down spare motor that has been in the last 3 cars. too bad they dont have subaru motors just layin' around out in these parts!!!:banghead:

sounds like a good op you can have going. but it would seem you wuould need a little money to start. maybe throw the first together and eat the cost, then profit on it with another core and then you're set!

well, i sort of am doing that... I ahve a couple laying around... and I was wondering if anyone wants one cause then I could head to pullapart to begin collecting the cores (blocks and heads and stuff) to use to build the first "batch" up!

I already have an EJ22, and an ea81 in "holding"

so that could be a possible canadate for a sale, if anyone needs an EJ22! (but that one will be a pricey one!)

:D

Sounds like a good idea to me. You just have to make sure everyone understands that it doesn't make the engine bulletproof, and it's not your fault if they break it. Are you gonna do cylinder honing and such? Would you instal high-performance bearings?

High compression pistons?

Copper gaskets?

Port and polish?

You should just whip up a price list for various services.

For your own safety you should write a limited liability contract for you and each customer to sign stating the services rendered and results expected, so you can't get sued.

Nathan

Why not buy Weber's and rebuild them - get em off ebay, and set yourself up with the right tools (wouldn't cost much), and get a good supplier of the EA81 and EA82 adapters, jetting specs off the kits, and such. You wouldn't be out much money to do a couple up, and then since you have a couple extra engines lying about - set them up to run on a bench - one EA81 and one EA82. It seems to me that there are a LOT more people in need of Hitachi replacements than there are in need of engines. If you get a weber on ebay for say $50 (just saw one go for $46), and the adaptor plate for $30, and the rebuild kit, you could probably sell them for $200 or so, and make a decent profit. After you've done a few, you would probably get fast at it, and be able to build one up in an hour. Why not offer an EA81 SPFI kit? there's just TONS of SPFI cars in the JY, and if you could supply instructions, and the modified distributor, I'll bet I would buy one.

GD