Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 82 Overhaul

So I searched around a bit, and I haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for, though I'm sure it's in the vault somewhere...

One of my Subaru's...an EA82 that my wife drives leaks too much oil. I've replaced cam seals and the oil pan seal, both of which helped but didn't solve the problem. it seems to get worse by the day...or maybe just as the weather warms up. Now that it's decent weather for working on a project, I'm thinking of pulling the engine out and taking my time re-sealing it. What should I do to it to ensure a smooth running vehicle for a decent amount of time in the future...?

I have no reason to think the head-gasket(s) are blown, so I'm not sure about taking it down that far. It runs strong, but then I guess I might not know if a head gasket was problematic. I'm thinking... cam seals (again), oil pan (again...didn't seal well with my Napa replacement), front and rear main, valve cover seals, new seals in the oil pump, new water pump. Anything else? Come to think of it, do I need to pull the engine out for all of this...? Granted the oil pan is a bit of a hassle when it's in the car....

Suggestions please... for myself and posterity...

Thanks all...

The o-rings that go between the heads and the camtowers a very prone to leaking. Also the head gaskets will sometimes leak oil but seal the water jackets and hold compression. If you plan on doing a complete reseal, you might as well pull the engine, everything but the rear main can be done without pulling it but it makes it a lot easier if you do. You should also think about replacing the timing belts while you are at it too.

I would recommend doing what I had to do on my 87 GL.

Yank the engine:

Replace:

Head gaskets, cam tower o-rings, valve cover gaskets (and washer gromit things) cam seals, front and rear main seals, oil pan gasket (if it takes you 1 minute to change it good, you got to it at a good time, if it takes 30 minutes or more, you let it get too old and crusty), water pump (just replace it, its cheap), oil pump gasket (mickey mouse gasket), timing belts, (maybe replace the timing belt pullies if they dont spin really nice and free), intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets.

This would probably be a good time to replace the major cooling lines too (the elbow hose from the water pump) and both radiator hoses, and both heater hoses. This will make the car practically like a new car and put you back on a normal 30 / 60K service interval.

Make sure to liberally soak each hydraulic lifter when you put them in. Squirt oil in the hole, stick the lifter in and cover it some more... helps to keep em from ticking.