Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Distrubutor installed incorrectly???

reoff

Okay... so I have been smelling unburned gas and such in the new Soob. I went to check the timing, and it was WAY off. Problem is, as I was adjusting it... the best I can do is 2deg BTDC. That is at the extreme limit of advance adjustment. My best guess is that someone installed the distributor in the wrong position at some point. Looks like I get to take it off and move it forward a notch. :) OH BOY!!! While I realize this isn't a big problem, I just like to point out that you should never underestimate the power of a CRACKHEAD!!! :slobber:

Let me know what you think. Even (especially) if you think I'm an even greater crackhead for wanting to do this.

Rich

I know it can be 1 tooth off on the SPFI EA82 and still start. DOne it way to many times :( I would first off check what GD mentioned. Try timing it with the advance circut OFF (for the carb version you pull the hose like he mentioned or on the EFI you need to plug in 2 connectors under the hood right by the fuel filter)

If that does not work you can try to "restab" the dist. Its kinda tricky on these and it wouldnt supprise me if someone installed it a tooth off. The teeth are curved not straight so when you go to stab it the shaft spins a bit as it goes in making it easy to be a tooth off.

Take your time in doing it. Pull it nice and slow, just high enough to clear the cam gear teeth and slip it over to the next one and slip it back in.

HOpe this helps

Sooooooo........... I went out to the car thinking this would be a relatively easy fix. Since I DID already know that the teeth are curved, I took great care in marking the distributor and slowly pulling it out. I've made about half a dozen cracks at it so far, and decided to take a break (gets pretty !@#$ hot down there after running for awhile). As it is I've had it too far advanced, WAY too far retarded, won't start at all, and now back where I started from. :banghead: I'm quite certain that I'll be drinking very heavily before the night is over... who knows, might help :-\ Too bad I have to get up at 4:30 to go to work in the morning.

Rich

BTW - I did disconnect the vac advance and set the idle to ~700 RPM.

Let the drinking begin!!!

Played with it again, and after being either 1-2deg BTDC at one end of one tooth, or 18-20deg BTDC at the opposite end of the next... I now realize that there IS NO CORRECT TIMING for this particular car!!! :cornfuzz: Needless to say, it runs better @ 1-2deg BTDC. So, there it is, idling in my driveway. I must say that is still MUCH better than when I started @ ~ 4deg ATDC. :brow:

Anyway, time to get started. I think I'll be walking right past the beer and going straight to the hard liquer tonight. :drunk:

I'll save the greater cause of this problem for another day. Of course, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Rich

Guest subu luvr

open your timing covers and verify:

Flywheel, three lonely little marks, not the timing scale.

align center mark with mark on bellhousing.

if you miss, go all the way round again.

on the cam sprockets, one dimple will be on top and one will be

on the bottom, i think ive seen the passenger side up and driver down.

so if all is well there, plug in the green connectors laying loose,

beneath the wiper motor, and check your ignition timing.

pull plug #1, feel for the strong pulse, check your dist is at #1,

and timing mark on flywheel is at 0 degrees...

*sigh*

then set your ignition timing, should take ya around an hour or so

Rich, you have been around long enough to know that you should post what car, year, engine, fuel system you are working on.

Subuluvr gave you great advise IF you are working on an EA82 with MPFI or SPFI

If you are working on an EA81, none of it applies.

I am going to suppress the drunken crackhead remarks.

Skip is right on here. We are just kinda throwing info at you as we know how it applies to OUR subarus, not yours :(

If you have a carbed EA82 you areally are not that far off in timing. If you have an EFI EA82 you are WAY off. Who knows untill we know what you are working on :) I dont think thats an EA81 car in your avatar picture so we arent THAT far off atleast! :D

I'm sorry guys!!! I don't always remember that everyone doesn't already know what I'm drivin' these days. It is an '85 GL d/r 4wd (carbed) with ~130K on it. Last owner bought it as a second car to get to school (2 miles) and put around 2K on it in the last year. Before that it was driven by a very messy college student in Oregon (this is where i expected to find some "unorthidox" repairs). I meant absolutely NO offense, and very much appreciated any and all suggestions. I've been away for awhile, and in my time as a Ford driver have not been keeping up on the board.

Just a lesson to me... make sure that before I call anyone a crackhead, I know exactly what is going on with the car. But I am still curious to find out what the REAL problem is.

Rich