Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought a 2001 Subaru LL Bean w/ 64K miles. Very nice ride, overall, though I have noticed two weird noises. First, when accelerating on the hwy 70-80mph (with stereo OFF) I hear a high frequency noise that sounds electrical, ie., I think it's too high a frequency to be the tranny or the engine. Then when I take my foot off the accelerator and coast through 65-60mph, I hear a vibration from somewher up front, sounding a bit like a rattle or a mechanical resonance. Neither noise seems to affect performance, though I wonder about long-term negative effects. Any others out there have the same experience? If so, any insight into causes and solutions (besides turning the stereo back up)?

High frequency noise could be the diode brigde in the alternator is bust. Stereo doesn't have to be on to here that.

Does the alternator become too hot to touch? Sure sign.

Thanks -- I'll check. Would the diode bridge noise occur at all rpms or only at 70-80mph rpms?

I just bought a 2001 Subaru LL Bean w/ 64K miles. Very nice ride, overall, though I have noticed two weird noises. First, when accelerating on the hwy 70-80mph (with stereo OFF) I hear a high frequency noise that sounds electrical, ie., I think it's too high a frequency to be the tranny or the engine. Then when I take my foot off the accelerator and coast through 65-60mph, I hear a vibration from somewher up front, sounding a bit like a rattle or a mechanical resonance. Neither noise seems to affect performance, though I wonder about long-term negative effects. Any others out there have the same experience? If so, any insight into causes and solutions (besides turning the stereo back up)?

My parents had the same high frequency noise problem in their 3.0 Liter Jaguar. They had the car in and out of the dealer 3 or 4 times. We had the amp replaced, and the noise stopped. I think that the way the amp was mounted in the car allowed for it (the amp) to vibrate at certian speeds (of the car) (Natural frequency and its overtones.) (There's some physics for you.) It could be the same problem, but mabey something completely different. I don't know if there are any hidden amps on the 01 LL Bean.

• 2 weeks later...

I just took it to the dealer to check it out. Tech indicated that the noise is coming from the front differential. Differential oil checked, level OK, very clean, but a little thin.

I had the 60K service done a little ahead of schedule so I could complain about piston slap and ended up with a new short block. So 2 questions: if they used the wrong oil, could this have damaged something to cause the whine; and could they have done something during the engine work to affect the differential?

Two other questions: First, they indicated it would take 10-12 hours to disassemble the front diff to find out exactly what the problem is - is this reasonable? Also, how much trouble would I be in if I don't do anything about it?

• 3 months later...

'04 Impreza TS Wagon. We just returned from our dealer to have them check out a similar noise, Whirring/rubbing sound that changes when accelerating/decelerating. They thought a pinion bearing. Would have to dissasemble entire transaxle to say for sure but probably ring and pinion and side gears and bearings too. Tried to blame it on my changing fluid @ 60K with Farm & Fleet Fluid. Bummer is we now have 87k mis. and no warranty. $1600 to have some kid who doesn't even shave yet screw it up some more with a 90 day warrany or $3400 for a reman unit with a 2 year 24k warranty. Is this a common enough problem that we might push SOA to give us a little help? Or should I just take my chances with a junk yard tranny. Any one else out there have any pinion problems or other thoughts on the matter?:eek:

2Outbacks: When I first read your post I automatically thought of the front differential fluid. When I changed mine, it made a world of difference...so much quieter! I would suggest swapping the fluid out for some fresh 75W90 and go from there :)

Hootow: you can contact SOA in a very polite manner, explain your situation, your brand loyalty, and they might chip in for half of the repairs (after you send them the invoice). They have done this for me before when the car has been out of warranty.

Take care,

Kevin