Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Six lug questions.(urgent)

A DOG

I have been riding my bike to work now for three weeks because no one in town knows how to do a six lug swap on EA81 wagon hubs. I really need help on this one. I got my tires mounted on my toyota rims and all I need is to get my six lug swap done. I'm so close to suby offroadness I can taste it. I really need some pics of disc hubs and drum hubs with the swap done on them or a write up on how to do it. So I can tell my offroad shop how to do it.

Thanks

I have been riding my bike to work now for three weeks because no one in town knows how to do a six lug swap on EA81 wagon hubs. I really need help on this one. I got my tires mounted on my toyota rims and all I need is to get my six lug swap done. I'm so close to suby offroadness I can taste it. I really need some pics of disc hubs and drum hubs with the swap done on them or a write up on how to do it. So I can tell my offroad shop how to do it.

Thanks

If you'll take a minute to read the F.A.Q. at the top of the forum, you'll find the link you're looking for.

I know how to drill the holes and where, but on the back of the hub where you put the new lugs it's not flat. Do you have to machine it flat? Or does it matter if the new lugs hangover a little. Then do you have to weld the back of the lugs into place? Or will they hold in there. My machine shop is just worried about safety. So they don't want to do it until they know exactly what to do.

Here are some pics of a set of hubs I've had redrilled to 6 lug.

Top:

3967DCAM6000_Small_.JPG

Bottom:

3967DCAM6001_Small_.JPG

And a closer view of the new studs:

3967DCAM6002_Small_.JPG

I've found that you should pound out the 2 opposing studs yourself before taking it in to a shop. Then, take a rim with you into the shop, and bring 2 lugnuts with you. Have them mount the rim to the hub and drill them. That's what I did with mine at the machine shop here. There was no welding involved. Hope this helps! They shouldn't charge you too much to do them either, the very first set of 4 hubs I took in cost me 180$, then I took a pair of rear disc hubs in to get drilled and he charged me 65$, so if they want something outrageous, let me know and we might be able to work something out.

(By the way, I am going to have a set of rear drum brakes drilled out to 6 lug for sale here pretty quick if you want them.)

any machine shop with a rotary table and someone who actualy knows how to use it can do this with no problem.

i bet they dont want to do it. it will take them too long, and they cant realy charge you too much to do it.

are they even shooting you a price? id guess around 250 bucks from a normal machine shop.

Spotfacing can be seen when the original studs are removed.

It struck me as a little odd when you said they didn't know what spotfacing is. Any machinist worth his chips knows this term. You may want to find another shop.