Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Auto trans.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SubieDude

SubieDude

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:35 AM

What is the usual service life of the 3-speed auto in an '86? Are there many problems?

Mike

#2 FirstSubaruGLwagon

FirstSubaruGLwagon

YHWH is life

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Wilmington

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:51 AM

Hi Mike.
Mine is a 86 with 188K
the tranny won't move in 1st or Drive in the mornings. Unless you let it warm up or you start off in 2nd and drive fro 2 blocks then put it in drive and it works fine the rest of the day.

i have did the usual maintinance and cleaned the Governer valve and replaced the modulator valve and made the band brake adjustment, all to no avail.

I would say that 170 is good milage for a 86 3speed.
But thats just my experiance.

#3 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:17 PM

Another thing to do for the brave at heart is to clean the valve body. It gets gummed up, too. Lots of channels to collect debris, and sliding valve surfaces to stick. And, if you don't clean/debur/polish the governor valve well it won't work much better than if you didn't touch it.

Regarding lifespan, one reliable source that I have spoken with says that when his shop does teardowns of the 3AT the clutches and band are usually in pretty good shape and can be reused. Makes you wonder why so many 3ATs "fail". I think it is mostly just dirty valving and people not wanting an automatic.

#4 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:36 PM

got 190K on 86 and still no problems...I hardly ever change the filter, but rather do the fluid change when the fluid starts to change color...it is even easier then changing the motor

#5 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:14 PM

got 190K on 86 and still no problems...I hardly ever change the filter, but rather do the fluid change when the fluid starts to change color...it is even easier then changing the motor

Filter? What filter? Are you referring to the debris screen or an aftermarket inline filter?

#6 Alex C

Alex C

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Ashland

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:01 PM

I have 217K on an 1982 3AT with no servicing done yet. Oil is still the right color etc.. I have replaced the modulator at 214k.

However, I have worn the gears out on it, they whine like a manuals reverse gear at low speeds. Also, I started having a little of the not going into first issue after I overfilled the tranny.

Still shifts solid though. Not as bad as everyone seems to make them out to be.

Alex

#7 SubieDude

SubieDude

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'm really not an auto kind of guy, but it was a good car, and I thought that it would be nice not having to shift so much around town. Even though the fluid looks ok I a planning on servicing it soon just so I know that it's been done. Is there a regular filter on the valve body, external, or a screen? The car has 125k on it now and seems to shift fine.

Mike

#8 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:07 PM

Yes, I was referring to the debris screen...Although the word filter is often used and also understood to be changed on a regular basis, but why...I have more then one example of people only changing the fluid and driving with 250k on the odom

#9 FirstSubaruGLwagon

FirstSubaruGLwagon

YHWH is life

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Wilmington

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:41 AM

Thats good news,:) maybe my tranny is not past all hope ;)

#10 stephenw22

stephenw22

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • SK, Canada

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:13 AM

I had 220k miles on my turbo wagon before I parked it. Tranny was still running good.

#11 the_postie

the_postie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • brisbane.aust

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:45 AM

my 88 auto has 390 000 km on it. a bit offroad in 4wd still runs fine.just robs a bit of power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users