Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so last night i came home from a concert in boston (hour drive home) and this happened when i was about half a mile from my house. i heard what sounded like a rubbing or even a flat tire coming from the front of my car (at least i think it's the front). i pulled slowly to my house (since i was right there) and looked and all tires were properly inflated. so i'm guessing something rubbing. it's not a constant, but more of a fwah fwah fwah sort of sound. since i'm at work now, i can't really go and look at it until i get out. anything in particular i should look for? i gave it a quick look at all 4 wheels and i couldn't see anything rubbing. there's no pull to one side and the sound doesn't change when i turn or brake (it faster the faster i go and slower the slower i go).

i realize this could be one of a million things, but any ideas as to where i should look or what i should look for or what it might be would be great since i am driving an hour and a half tomorrow morning to CT...

so last night i came home from a concert in boston (hour drive home) and this happened when i was about half a mile from my house. i heard what sounded like a rubbing or even a flat tire coming from the front of my car (at least i think it's the front). i pulled slowly to my house (since i was right there) and looked and all tires were properly inflated. so i'm guessing something rubbing. it's not a constant, but more of a fwah fwah fwah sort of sound. since i'm at work now, i can't really go and look at it until i get out. anything in particular i should look for? i gave it a quick look at all 4 wheels and i couldn't see anything rubbing. there's no pull to one side and the sound doesn't change when i turn or brake (it faster the faster i go and slower the slower i go).

i realize this could be one of a million things, but any ideas as to where i should look or what i should look for or what it might be would be great since i am driving an hour and a half tomorrow morning to CT...

I dunno. Might look for a torn CV joint boot. I once had a fender liner get knocked loose in a puddle on a Toyota and it would rub the tire, but not intermittently. Just look around, maybe have someone 'pace' the car walking down the street to pinpoint it.

Carl

Hi,

You mentioned that you checked the tires for proper inflation, but did you look at the sidewalls carefully? You may have a bubble or delamination on the inside that is rubbing. Not an uncommon thing, even on quality tires.

Regards,

Adnan

ok, so i had someone look at it as i drove. there was a hex head screw with washer in the front passenger side tire, but near the inside of it so it made it much harder to see by myself. i took it to a shop and had them plug the hole.

so i have another question now... will the plug last the rest of the life of the tires or will i most likely need to replace the tires soon (i do plan on keeping an eye on that tire to make sure the plug doesn't leak)? the tires are the original potenzas i'm guessing (since they are potenzas) and the car has about 46-47k. about how long do the original tires last anyways? as far as i can tell, they've still got some decent tread left...

ok, so i had someone look at it as i drove. there was a hex head screw with washer in the front passenger side tire, but near the inside of it so it made it much harder to see by myself. i took it to a shop and had them plug the hole.

so i have another question now... will the plug last the rest of the life of the tires or will i most likely need to replace the tires soon (i do plan on keeping an eye on that tire to make sure the plug doesn't leak)? the tires are the original potenzas i'm guessing (since they are potenzas) and the car has about 46-47k. about how long do the original tires last anyways? as far as i can tell, they've still got some decent tread left...

Well, the ideal repair would probably have been a musroom plug or a patch on the inside - dunno exactly what they used. personally, I'd just keep a close eye on that tire since it seems the tires are not new and will get replaced at some point not too far off. I assume you're aware that AWD systems are sensitive to tire mismatch and Subaru recommends no more than 1/4 inch difference in CIRCUMFERENCE on tires, so trying to keep that one on the car is likely a better decision that replacing with a new one. If htye get rotated before they need replacing, remeber to continue to monitor that tire and keep proper inflation pressures and stuff.

glad it wasn't something too serious good luck.

carl

Well, the ideal repair would probably have been a musroom plug or a patch on the inside - dunno exactly what they used. personally, I'd just keep a close eye on that tire since it seems the tires are not new and will get replaced at some point not too far off. I assume you're aware that AWD systems are sensitive to tire mismatch and Subaru recommends no more than 1/4 inch difference in CIRCUMFERENCE on tires, so trying to keep that one on the car is likely a better decision that replacing with a new one. If htye get rotated before they need replacing, remeber to continue to monitor that tire and keep proper inflation pressures and stuff.

glad it wasn't something too serious good luck.

carl

when they rotate tires, how do they do it? i think i saw somewhere that the front tires go to the back opposite side and the back just go straight forward.

they just used ones of those rubber stick-like plugs. the tires are defnitely nowhere near new, so i think i'll be fine with this until i need new tires. i knew about that size difference thing, which is why i was glad it wasn't anything really serious and the plug worked.