Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch cable swap

Well for those who didn't notice my signature over the past 2 days, the clutch cable in my 87 GL finally snapped. I got it towed home (AAA rules :D ). This morning I decided to install my ~ $17 genuine subaru clutch cable that I picked up yesterday. No way I was gonna be crawling around under the dash out in the street so I had to move the car with the starter in 2nd gear to get it moving... stupid hyundai was in my way when I pulled in the complex so I had to ride up on the curb a bit (hey I didnt want to stop) Anyway I got into a safe guest spot and started pulling parts.

1.25 hours later its done and the clutch is actually adjusted better than it has been in the past 5 years :banana:

That 1.25 hours included pulling the lower half of the dash, removing the old cable, installing the new one (getting the 2 bolts that hold in the cable bracket is hard :banghead: ) and reinstalling the dash and spare tire and adjusting everything to work right.

The clutch feels SOOO much better now. 1 hour 15 minutes isnt bad for someone who has never messed with a clutch mechanism before :D

Ummm you really should install that other bolt as the cable can pivot a bit. My secret to get it in there right was to have one of the bolts ALMOST tightened up then run the bolt through the little bracket towards the 2nd hole while kinda jiggling it. Once it popped through it threaded right in to the nut on the mount on the firewall. That was the most difficult part though. Took me about 1/3 of the time trying to get the pedal and cable bolted up properly. And its not exactly easy to get my upper body under the dash either :D

My cable always breaks in the left hand turn lane--in traffic:banghead: Pop and your moving into the intersection!

My poor starter motor:boohoo:

I'm gettin so I can install a cable in 10 minutes:brow: ---comes from a lot of practice:mad:

My clutch cable pin in the pedal area is so worn it has the profile of a snowman!

Even the pedal pin hole is elongated!!:madder:

I hate Subaru Clutch cables.............:banghead:

Ok, I'm done now.:brolleye:

Glenn,

82 Hatch, transforming...:temper:

01 Forester, jealous.......:madder: