Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission fluid change crisis

hello Everyone.

I just purchased my second subaru yesterday, this time a 96 legacy wagon, automatic transmission. I am going through and doing a full tune up, new sparks etc.

I have run into a spot of trouble though. After draining the transmission fluid

(which looks like it has never been changed), I proceeded to add fresh fluid, however it is not draining correctly back into the pan. As far as

I can tell, there are no blockages. However am I missing a vent somewhere? there is no fluid entering the drain pan, nor can i get any to come out of the plug. Dropping the pan, i can't see anything thats interupting flow. Now with little tranmission fluid running through the system the car is stuck dead in the driveway, blocking my way out.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks

K

There are two vents on top of the trans 1/4 rubber lines. I doubt they would completely block the fluid from going in. Are you using a transmission funnel? Many of them have a shutoff valve at the bottom before the hose.

If you think its the vent, pull the drain plug, does flluid go in and out of the trans now?

Hate to point at something that may be real obvious, do not the AT Legacies have TWO fill points, one for the ATF and one for the front differential? May want to do a search, I seem to recall some threads here where people had thier cars serviced and trans was drained, and ATF was added to diff causing big problems. (my Legacy is an MT so transd and diff are all one unit)

Let us know what you find out.

To push the car out of the way, take off the plastic on the shift handle, then take off the plastic molding around the shift handle. I think the two bolts are visible when you open the lid for the compartment between the driver and passenger. Take off the molding and use something cylinderical (like a medium Phillips screwdriver) in the hole next the the shift handle. Push it down and you can put the car in neutral and have someone push it while you steer it out of the way.

My description isn't that good but should suffice. A Haynes manual will describe it better. You library might have a Haynes or Chilton manual.

Dave

Drain the tranny with the dip stick out...that should be adequate venting. I'd stick your pinkie finger in the drain hole to see if any thing or build up is in there...have never heard of a car that still drives and has so much build up that the tranny can't be drained...so maybe a moot point

btw, to move the car, turn the key to on, but do not start, put in neutral, without ER brake and roll it wherever you want. Pretty easy. I do it all the time to move my cars around a few feet this way or that..unless you live on a hill. When I was buying my house...my first requirement was a flat driveway...and a shade tree. lol

YES There are TWO (2) drain plugs and two dipsticks on the automatics! The dipstick on the passanger's side is for the front diff. The front diff drain plug site underneath where the half shafts come out of the transmission. There is also a dipstick on the driver's side of that is for the actual ATF. The ATF drains from the plug on the side of the transmission pan half way back. It sounds like you drained one and are trying to add to the other. Check it out. The trans (ATF) dipstick is often over looked. It sits near the brake master cylinder and under some some hoses.

Keith