Ultimate Subaru Message Board

***Update***

Hear what it sounded like via a recording from my friends phone, let me know if you recognize the sound

Squeal of death

Knock of death

Related Post http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=332229#post332229

***Update Ends***

Hello all,

A sad day today....due to my own stupidity

Went out to a friends house to do some rallying....fun day running around....then all of a sudden the car started dying...puzzled i looked under the car to see oil pouring out of the EZ drain oil plug i should have taken out....needless to say im running on 2 cylinders now the others with ring damage and perhaps more......sucky

I would like to replace this with a 2.5 litre, so i would need the ECU as well...anyone got one??? let me know or perhaps some good import places around the Portland/Seattle area.

I checked CCR and they wanted almost $4k with no core exchange.....YIKES:-\

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Cory

Cory,

puzzled i looked under the car to see oil pouring out

The oil pressure light didn't illuminate prior to the failure?

of the EZ drain oil plug i should have taken out

I'm not sure I understand. Should the EZ drain never have been installed in the first place?

Nope the oil light never came on....i thought that was odd also

Well it was a drain plug with a pepcock on it so that you can easily drain your pan...not a problem...only when your rallying around a field with tall grass :banghead:

I know i should probabally get a 2.2...but it is a project rally car...and 2.5 is still considered production and with more power....I could get a SOHC a little less prone to death...

I'm not convinced that the engine is dead. Rather, you may have gotten extremely lucky. Engines don't usually die instantly from lack of oil.

Although it will do expensive damage, an engine can seem to run just fine w/no oil for a surprisingly long time. If oil was still pouring out and the idiot light never came on, chances are the engine never ran dry.

I'd look for another source for the two dead cylinders (Coil?) and, assuming you find one, thank your stars it failed when it did; it caused you to notice the leak.

Regards,

Tom

Nope the oil light never came on....i thought that was odd also

I also would've thought that the temp gauge would've been climbing into the danger zone too.

Well it was a drain plug with a pepcock on it so that you can easily drain your pan...not a problem...only when your rallying around a field with tall grass :banghead:

It was for fear of this happening that I never made that move to putting an EZ-drain fumoto thingy on my car, but it wasn't until now that I'd encountered someone who actually had it happen. My fear was that snow and ice would shear the entire valve completely off.

I know i should probabally get a 2.2...but it is a project rally car...and 2.5 is still considered production and with more power....I could get a SOHC a little less prone to death...

Like Tom says, maybe it'll still run fine. Motor oils have amazing add packs that can "heal" to some extent any scuffing wear on piston & cylinder wall. Compression might be down a tad afterwards.

Is it seized? If so you might be able to break it loose with a gigandimundo breaker bar.

its not seized i can run it...its just powerless...it has a tick that sounds like a rod knock....not to mention when i first got it running it sounded like i was cutting something on a lathe in a metal shop....

I just found it so weird that it was so catastrophic...there was still about a quart when i noticed the oil leak...there was no light...engine temp was normal...im sure it may be fixed, but the engine has almost 300k as it is and there may be other wear all in all i could get a 2.5 longblock for pretty cheap...or another 2.2 for cheap as free....

you think it has something to do with the coil??

It was for fear of this happening that I never made that move to putting an EZ-drain fumoto thingy on my car, but it wasn't until now that I'd encountered someone who actually had it happen. My fear was that snow and ice would shear the entire valve completely off.

What turned me off of them after I was given one is the amazingly small hole that the used oil is drained through. I'm impatient. I open the top (pull out the dipstick) of the engine so it will drain faster. Putting in a valve that has a hole a quarter the size of the original is just against my nature. On the other hand, that valve may have saved his engine. It would take more time for the oil to drain out, so there would still be oil in the system with one of those far longer than if the pan had been holed (or the regular plug fell out. . .)

On the other hand, that valve may have saved his engine. It would take more time for the oil to drain out, so there would still be oil in the system with one of those far longer than if the pan had been holed (or the regular plug fell out. . .)

Say what? :banghead::banghead::banghead: Hey, who kidnapped Gnuman?

Next you'll try and convince me that you actually SAVED money today by buying a whole bunch of stuff you didn't need (but it was on sale). :D