Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Silly Idea

That reminds me . . .

Car & Driver commissioned a dual-engine Honda Civic, back in the '80s, and did an article on it.

My fantasy from my teen years: a dual V8 VW Squareback. At one time, they were sold with a script "1600" emblem on the tailgate.

Dual engine: '76 Cadillac Eldorado drivetrains, one for each end. 500 ci each = ~16,000 cc . Add one more zero to the "1600" script :)

Put one in Drive, one in Reverse, use up tires to your heart's content. Or more likely tear up the chassis. Well, it sounded good when I was seventeen.

A few years later, at a Bug-In (at SIR), I saw a quite well done Squareback with a rear Toronado conversion (455 ci). It was a good job. Sano, as we used to say.

I,ve been toying with the idea of two(that's two) ea81 mated together with an auto put in the back of a brat.It would only be rear wheel drive but it would be fast.Cover the bed with a tonnau cover and it would be one hell of a sleeper.The major problem is connecting the two engines together.The rear engine would need to have the crankshaft snoot custom machined with splines .Then a adapter would need to be machined to bolt the crank shaft and the rear of front engine.Make a custom intake and use one fourbarrel to feed the moster. Oh I could go on and on , but I won't because I might still build this machine.I don't want to give all the secrets away.

It would be possible to make this a four wheel drive too.It would face engine backward and involve a custom t/c and a rearend in front and back(similar to unhatched but powered from the rear).:banana:

hey lumpy if all you want is straight power transfer from that setup go take a peek at some of the "chain " and gear boxes with the solenoid operated front drivesahft disconnect on monster trucks

they are not that big

and if you have the tools

a smaller version could be made

and since i don't think you gonna pull a 1000 hp out of it :)

it should hold up well enough

That, and then find out what the Tractor Pull guys use to mate up all those exta engines they use in the Super Modified Class. On another note...Hot Rod Magazine did a dual engines small Caddy. Both trans were autos, and of different gearing. Don't quite remember how they did the rear tranny's linkage, but they had all the engine monitoring devices, tucked away in the glove box. Think the shop that did the conversion had to add an extra foot to the rear quarters to cover the set-up. Looked good from the pics. Been a few years ago......