Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 turbo runs on 3 questions oil in water

More than likely a blown head gasket. Typical case of oil/water mixture, and very common on turbos.

EA82T is rated at 115hp/134tq I believe? Sure feels like a lot more- they're fun cars.

SPFI EA82 is rated at 90/90 I think.

I agree. When mine went out I didn't get water in the oil or vice versa, but it started burning coolant at about 30 miles per gallon (every 15 miles the temp gauge starts climbing, so you stop and put in another half gallon of water in the radiator). Head gasket replacement is not too hard to do if you're into it.

I think the SPFI is 84/92 but I don't have the book in front of me right now.

I would tend to think the welch plugs in the top of cylinder head have coroded as they are not brass when bulit new.Water is running under these and leaks into rocker assembly area then into sump.You could also have head gasket problem but not normally have water in oil when that happens in the subies.

Is it an automatic? If so, sometimes old ATF can look like oil in the coolant. That would of course be a bad radiator.

If it has been sitting for a few months, the rings are probably rusted to the cylinder wall. You could still free it up and make it run but it will not have the greatest power if the rusted ring was close to top dead center. You would not want to just torque the crank bolt with a huge breaker bar to free it up, you will brake something. I use a grease gun as a hydraulic pump to pump about 10,000psi into the cylinder to force the piston down. Works every time. Just gotta combine a grease fitting and spark plug threaded end together and screw it into the spark plug hole.

Is it an automatic? If so, sometimes old ATF can look like oil in the coolant. That would of course be a bad radiator.

If it has been sitting for a few months, the rings are probably rusted to the cylinder wall. You could still free it up and make it run but it will not have the greatest power if the rusted ring was close to top dead center. You would not want to just torque the crank bolt with a huge breaker bar to free it up, you will brake something. I use a grease gun as a hydraulic pump to pump about 10,000psi into the cylinder to force the piston down. Works every time. Just gotta combine a grease fitting and spark plug threaded end together and screw it into the spark plug hole.

Also squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil down into the cylinders a day or two before trying to free it.