Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noise from new cv

I just replaced my front right drive axle, but I'm still hearing noises from that area. The noises come and go, turning and straight. Mainly happens under harder acceleration.

I'm getting two noises. Noise one is sort of a grinding noise with vibration which gets worse the harder I accelerate while i'm in 1st and 2nd gear. It occasionally happens when I shift into third buts it's faint and then goes away. Noise two is similar to the popping you get with a bad cv but it's a duller popping sound. It's not so much the sharp clicking sound associated with bad cv's.

Also, could brake drag have anything to do with it? I did not replace the hub bearings, which i probably should have. Could I have bad bearings?

I know that noise 1 goes away when braking because I only get that while accelerating. I think noise 2 continues while braking. I'm not positive about that...I can listen when I go to lunch. Iknow the threads aren't mangled and I'm pretty sure that the castle nut was as tight as I could get it.

Same thing here on my '82. Put a new axle in on the PS, old one had torn boot, and was complaining about being used. Got the new one in, nut torqued to specks, wheel bearings are new, brakes are in like new condition. Now, I sill have a grummbling sound from that side when under acceleration, especially if turning corner at same time. Not 100%, but thinking it may have to do with the motor and tranny mounts being old and in need of replacement. Those are next on the I need it list, right after the Weber carb conversion......

My '83 has most of the "Noise Two" symptoms. The axle on that side is new and of very high quality, so I figure it's got something to do with the tranny..either mounts or worn bearings inside. It hasn't affected performance in any way, but the sound can be sometimes alarming. Of course, a 20 year old car with 275,000 miles isn't going to be as smooth and quiet as a brand new Acura. My 2 bucks.

I appreciate all the input from you guys. I'm going to go back and check the torque of the castle nut. The manual or somebody suggested checking a few days after you put it back together just to make sure it's on good. I'll also inspect the overall area just to make sure nothing else is going on as well.

I'm pretty sure it's not the u-joints (chef) because I can feel the vibration(grinding) coming from the front right. It's not just noise. I will check out the u/j though.