Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Noise from new cv

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hogsubie

Hogsubie

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Northwest Arkansas

Posted 25 September 2003 - 08:57 AM

I just replaced my front right drive axle, but I'm still hearing noises from that area. The noises come and go, turning and straight. Mainly happens under harder acceleration.

I'm getting two noises. Noise one is sort of a grinding noise with vibration which gets worse the harder I accelerate while i'm in 1st and 2nd gear. It occasionally happens when I shift into third buts it's faint and then goes away. Noise two is similar to the popping you get with a bad cv but it's a duller popping sound. It's not so much the sharp clicking sound associated with bad cv's.

Also, could brake drag have anything to do with it? I did not replace the hub bearings, which i probably should have. Could I have bad bearings?

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 25 September 2003 - 11:28 AM

if the threads are mangeld, or the axle nut is loose, the rotor will rub against the caliper bracket. it will go away when turning one direction, or using the brake.

does the noise go away ehen using the brake?

#3 Hogsubie

Hogsubie

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Northwest Arkansas

Posted 25 September 2003 - 12:05 PM

I know that noise 1 goes away when braking because I only get that while accelerating. I think noise 2 continues while braking. I'm not positive about that...I can listen when I go to lunch. Iknow the threads aren't mangled and I'm pretty sure that the castle nut was as tight as I could get it.

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 25 September 2003 - 12:07 PM

As tight as you can get it.. torque on the castle nut is something like 140ft/lbs.. so get a breaker bar and stand on it.. they will make all kinds of funny noises if not tight enough

#5 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,994 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 26 September 2003 - 04:21 AM

Same thing here on my '82. Put a new axle in on the PS, old one had torn boot, and was complaining about being used. Got the new one in, nut torqued to specks, wheel bearings are new, brakes are in like new condition. Now, I sill have a grummbling sound from that side when under acceleration, especially if turning corner at same time. Not 100%, but thinking it may have to do with the motor and tranny mounts being old and in need of replacement. Those are next on the I need it list, right after the Weber carb conversion......

#6 NV Zeno

NV Zeno

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,037 posts
  • Ponderosa Ranch, Nevada

Posted 26 September 2003 - 11:59 AM

My '83 has most of the "Noise Two" symptoms. The axle on that side is new and of very high quality, so I figure it's got something to do with the tranny..either mounts or worn bearings inside. It hasn't affected performance in any way, but the sound can be sometimes alarming. Of course, a 20 year old car with 275,000 miles isn't going to be as smooth and quiet as a brand new Acura. My 2 bucks.

#7 Hogsubie

Hogsubie

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Northwest Arkansas

Posted 26 September 2003 - 12:18 PM

I appreciate all the input from you guys. I'm going to go back and check the torque of the castle nut. The manual or somebody suggested checking a few days after you put it back together just to make sure it's on good. I'll also inspect the overall area just to make sure nothing else is going on as well.

I'm pretty sure it's not the u-joints (chef) because I can feel the vibration(grinding) coming from the front right. It's not just noise. I will check out the u/j though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users