Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gutting The Cat?!?

Scrub2k

On my 87 GL-10 Turbo, i was told that i could get a good performance gain if i was to Pound out the Internals of the Cat, Is this True and a Good Thing or should i just remove it completely and replace it with regular Exhaust pipe? i dont have alot of money to do the whole exhaust right now but i want to make the car a little faster. Any Help Would be Great.

-Matt-

Guest taprackready

Use a plasma cutter or a handheld grinder to cut open the cat. Take out the insides and use a wirefeed welder and close it back up. Use a wire brush to clean it and then paint it. Will look better than new.

I've been told some systems and/or pimply faced testing station personal cannot detect the presence or absence of a cat in a tail pipe test. Maybe somebody can shed light on that subject.

Bill

You can always do it the right way and keep it legal..

Look at electrycmonk's wagon.. 2.5 inch from the turbo back with one little 3way cat that has 2.5 inch in and out.. performance gain, passes emissions, good for the trees, and still legal.. since my exhaust is pretty well toasted, thats my next upgrade.. and the smog nazis here can tell if you aren't on the up and up

I Just Dont have much money to put into the car right now, so i think that im gonna just add a straight piece but when i went out and looked at the rest of the exhaust and i think that i need to get it all redone, how much does it normally cost at some of those little "alley" muffler shops?

oh and no my car isent white, surprised they even found your car man, the cops around here are so lazy its not even funny.

-Matt-