Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lack of power

its cuz i have an ea81 thats stock! how can you guys bear with this. my 2x is fine with 175 13 inch tires on it, but this 4x with 25 inch tires is hell! i gotta downshift to keep her at 70 mph.

i realy wanted to leave this one stock, but damn, im gonna blow her up goin 70 at 5k rpms... or will i? =]

Try advancing the timing until she begins to ping (then back off a little or run premium) - woohoo @ $3+/gal.

or

put in an ea82 5-spd and run in 4th. (4th in 5-spd is lower ratio than 4th in ea81 4-spd), then you still have 5th for those 100mph downhills - lol.

r/ PK

Ya not much power stock but....The thing I did for my brother on his ea81 wagon was to pull the intake off and grind out those puny little ports and then pull the heads off and give the intake a good grinding and a little polishing on the exhaust side. We cut some holes on the sides of the stock air filter housing and put a k&n filter in to make the carb draw more air.The result was very noticeable with alot more torque and quick revs.:)

its cuz i have an ea81 thats stock!

Just avoid driving any other cars that actually do have power, and you'll get used to it. I thought my old EA82 was fine till I drove a friends diesel jetta for a few days. Got back in the subaru and wondered what was wrong with it....nothing -- it just doesn't go 85mph up hills (more like 45.....) :)

With the bigger tires it really sounds like you need the 5 speed to get back into a better rpm range on the highway. Or a turbo or more powerful engine. Only other suggestion is to just make sure the engine is tuned up as good as possible. Sorry....

Sad to say, i gotta agree with the 5 speed swap. I've been resisting it for quite a while, as i'd rather stick with the original stuff, but the 4 speed is really a pain for high speeds. So, i've given in, a 5 speed is going in the turbowagon. (although for the opposite reason - with 185/60 r14s it revs too high at 100km/h!)

well, apparently the wind was blowing the wrong way on the way to work, cuz i got her to cruise at 80 for a while, on the way home. gotta wind the hell out of third, then drop into 4th on a downhill.

timing is clocked, have cold air intake on the carb =p, i think i need to gut the cat and put an open muff on there.

i run the 4 speed with my 2.7 xt6 motor, and with twice the power, its no problem at all, even with 28 inch tires, but 65 hp oof!

its gonna be even slower with subs =[

and, i dont think my gas mileage is gonna be that good, if im holding the throttle wide open in 4th gear, even tho the rmps are at 3k.