Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wanted: Justy Carb rebuilder or EFI stuff

I've got an '88 Justy (first Gen) with a gummed up carb. Anyone out there good at rebuilding these? I'd like to box it up and ship it off to someone.

Alternatively, if anyone has all the goodies needed to convert one to EFI for sale, let me know. I'd like to consider swapping.

Thanks!

Paul,

I got your message on my cell. I'm sorry I have not gotten back to you. I have had some health problems over the last month and had to spend a couple of days in the hospital (I thought my pump was taking a dump!) the last few weeks have been tough with tests and all but, all is well now. Doc says heart is fine..I just need to practice stress management!...Yeah, Me and a Zillion others.

I wish I had better news on the carb issue..Unfortunetly, I do not have a source who rebuilds those Hatachi carbs. I have seen some rebuilt carbs on ebay and some kits there as well. If you can score a kit, I have a service manual with rebuild procedures if you want to take a shot at rebuilding it!

Well, keep me posted and I too will keep my eyes open.

Good luck,

Jim

I've got an '88 Justy (first Gen) with a gummed up carb. Anyone out there good at rebuilding these? I'd like to box it up and ship it off to someone.

Alternatively, if anyone has all the goodies needed to convert one to EFI for sale, let me know. I'd like to consider swapping.

Thanks!

viehmann:

Any idea where I can get the stuff for an EFI conversion? The intake is the main thing. I might even hit you up for a spare carbed intake and attempt something really wild. We were talking yesterday about cutting up an intake, modifying it to accept Suzuki GSXR individual throttle bodies, and using a stand alone engine management.

Paul,

I have a spare carbed intake already removed from an 89 Justy...Just say the word and it's yours. I also have a complete EFI induction system from a 93 Justy parts car..Tank, Lines, Wiring, Intake manifold, Exhaust manifold, and Cyl head. (#1 exhaust valve took a shot from the piston due to a bottom end failure but,the head is good.) Sorry, It's not for sale.. I need it for my white 88. I'm always on the hunt for EFI Justys but, man they are hard to come by.

Good luck,

Jim

viehmann:

Any idea where I can get the stuff for an EFI conversion? The intake is the main thing. I might even hit you up for a spare carbed intake and attempt something really wild. We were talking yesterday about cutting up an intake, modifying it to accept Suzuki GSXR individual throttle bodies, and using a stand alone engine management.

Paul,

My book says that the intake and plenum are the same from 90-94 but, the fuel injectors and wiring changed for the 93-94 models. The main difference I saw from my 90 model to my 93 parts car was the connectors..The shape was different but, the wire routing was the same.

All the people I have talked to say... You gotta use the EFI head if you convert a carb to EFI. I can't say for sure that you must but, it sure sounds that way. You can however, use a carbed block from 87-92 but, the 87-89 blocks don't have the mounting boss used to mount the intermediate shaft bracket for the equal length axle shafts. These are used on 90-92 GL Justys and all 93-94 Justys.

Sorry I teased you... If it's any consolation the ultimate tease is waiting a year and a half for the insurance salvage lot to auction off their 93 Justy yard car so I could get an engine and other EFI stuff...Seeing it sitting there every week made it even worse!! Really, the best bet is to try and find a complete EFI car and strip off all the stuff you need.

Happy Hunting!!

Jim

I think I've just been chasing a rabbit with the whole EFI thing. I'm leaning toward sticking with my original plan. I'm going to get it running on the carb as best I can, spend some seat time in it getting the handling right while we are putting together the drive train, then I'll go ahead and put in the SVX motor. That should go a long way toward messing up the handling!!

Thanks for the help!

I had an '88 Justy that I worked on the carb several times.Never tried to rebuild it , but took it partially apart & cleaned, sprayed with carb cleaner, & blew out passages with air. I finally found most of the problems, put an extra in-line fuel filter on it, & VERY heavy dose of " Seafoam" & she ran well after that.Sold it 15,000 miles later, & she was still running good!

• 5 months later...

Thanks!

I do and have rebuilt several. Some parts such as elec. servos have to be reused if operational, but float , gasket sets, needle and seat and o rings in the rebuild kits are OK I've had about a 2-4 mile per gal increase after a typical rebuild.