Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I'm gettin' this "new" turbo for free.......

Hey all, I was just wanting to get your opinions on a turbocharger that I am going to be getting for free. It is a stock turbocharger from an S13 Silvia(SR20DET) that is in VERY good condition(no shaft play whatsoever and lightly used). I know that there will be alot of fabbing involved, but do you guys think that I should hang on to it and try to use it, or clean it up, sell it off, and use the money to purchase a TD04? Any remarks, advice, or executive decisions are welcomed. Thanks for the feedback.

Patrick

Sell it dude...The DET phase is huge, you'll get rid of it so fast.

It should be a Garrett T-25 BTW, if it's from a RWD s13 blacktop.

it's actually from s13 and s14 sr20's but the s15's came with a t28.

you could pull 100-200 dollars if its in that good of shape. they're almost a dime a dozen so don't become too overzealous and/or greedy if you decide to sell.

Thank You all for your replies.

So, I got 2 saying keep it, 1 saying sell, and 1 undecided. Hmmmmmm.......

I like the turbo. Boosted84Wagon is right, it is a T-25. The turbos are reliable and efficient up to 1.1 BAR(16 PSI) according to a group of Silvia owners her on the island. I don't ever plan to run that much boost on the motor, but even running .62 BAR(9 PSI)or .69 BAR(10 PSI), should yield a big improvement in power over the stock VF7 running at 11 PSI(since it runs out of breath at about 12 PSI anyway). I am sure that I can get a DP flange for it so that I can have a downpipe fabbed for it. Personally, I think that I might hang on to it and install it later on down the road. I am looking for more power, and since this upgrade is basically free(minus all the fabrication costs), I think it will be worth it in the end. Otherwise, I saw a Turbonetics T-3 Turbocharger at a local shop for about $725 Brand New. When the turbo swap project begins with whatever turbo I choose, I'll post the info. I had just posted this to get a couple different perspectives on what will hopefully materialize into my next BIG project.

Patrick