Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New hatch owner, have a couple questions......

SC1

Hey guys, I picked up a 87 hatch this week ( they're acualy called a "chaser" in canada), I got a a good deal on it, the car is in great shape and he had a spare EA-81 and tranny, it'll be a great winter car while my 57' is parked. Now the tranny is from a 83 wagon, it's the 5-speed and it has 4-High and 4-low, and I would like to put it into the Hatch if possible(it's only got the 4 speed w/4-high). I did a search of the forums and saw a couple posts on tranny swaping, but i didn't see anything on this application, any thought's?

What about lifting a hatch? I see in pic. that it's been done, how would one go about doing it. Any detail's?

Also what about a bigger rim, I saw the info on the toyota rim, what about chevy rim's, they are 8-5.50", we are 4-140mm or 4-5.50", would the chevy rims bolt right up using only 4 of the holes?

Thanks

Andrew

Hey Andrew This is Jerry, yes i have an idea drive your hatch to Selah Washington state. I make a kit that all you do is unbolt your 4 speed and bolt up the 5 speed dual range tranny. The only thing that i don't do is the rear drive line, i have a drive line shop make up a new one. The kit cost 100.00 us and you send some old 4 speed parts with some 5 speed parts then i rework them for the kit. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks Jerry

Thanks for the offer Jerry, but don't have the time or money to head down that way, I would really like to get this done on my own, the buget is really tight and i'm more than capible. What I would really like is to know what needs to be done, this tranny has every thing on it, (clutch assebly ect.) somebody out there must know whats involved in this 85 5-speed 4-high/low into a 4-speed 4/high 87 hatch swap, can a just bolt it right up as is? Do i use the 5 speed or the 4-speed clutch assembly?Does the 4-speed shifter assemble work for the 5-speed? ect. any tricks? there is a machine shop behind my shop, so the drive shaft lengthening if necicary won't be a problem.

Thanks for any info guys

Andrew

you have to bolt on the ea82 4x4 flywheel and clutch, everything else fits, except driveshaft. you have to use the 5speed shifters and linkages. i have heard about some tranny tunnels being pretty tight, but they fit. just start tearing at it.

somebody yell at me if you have to change the starter too.

Ok kewl, so i'm going to need a EA-81 flywheel, and a 5-speed shifter assembly, what about the 4-wheel handle inside the car will work with the 4-low, or do i need that too? Does anybody have any of these items for cheap or trade on the flywheel? ea-81 for the ea-82 that i need?

Thanks

how about a 5spd in a 2wd?

the 16 inch chevy rims can be drilled out, you will want to use the 21mm lug nut with m12 1.25 thread, and 60 deg. seat.

i used a set of truck rims and put 2o5/55 camaro tires on the rims, not much bigger around (made 3.90 drive like 3.70).

you will have to grind away at the middle hole to fit the subaru hub.

i have seen a set of 15's for a 6 lug, those would offer better selection for tires

you could send just the 4wd shifter to jerry, i am sure he can make you an adapter, because tyhe shifter mechanism off the 5spd is different than the 4spd's

the 5 spd shifter assy fits onto an arm that bolts to the tranny, the shifter and 4wdd are both like this in one unit.

everything for a rear suspension can be left the same, but parts off an (ea82), the car the tranny came from, can be converted over for bigger brakes.

you will need the driveshft from the 5 spd

you might have to modify the shifter hole and tunnel to fit it, but mine went into a 2wd. general disorder put a 4spd in a 2wd, and one method i suggested that he made work was to stack washers between the body and the trans crossmember to drop the tranny down just enough to clear the trans tunnel.

you could have jerry make your 4wd handle, so it fits and appears stock for that car.