Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy Wagon, Mileage question.

Hi,

First time subaru owner. My wife and i both love the legacy so far (can't go wrong with AWD with the winters up here).

I've never dealt with this subaru much in the past and am looking for some good sites with info on them. particularly on model info, engine specs, general vehicle specs, etc... Could somebody point me in the direction of some good sites for this?

My legacy wagon is a 2.2L, automatic. What size is the fuel tank for this particular model? I'm concerned about mileage. i'm not totally sure what the mpg should be, but we're getting around 20-ish miles to the gallon. I don't seem to remember ever putting more than 9.5-10 gallons in for a fill-up. Not sure if it's a faulty fuel guage or not.

thanks for the help ahead of time.

-mrlloyd

odd i got 19-36 and everything in between on my 98 legacy Fuel tanks is actaully two fuel tanks wwith 50% of the volume. It holds 14.9, and when the light comes on it usuallly about 2 gallons left ion the tank. What legacies are notorous for are they fule tanks level sensors getting dirty and reading on the low side of the tank. The low fuel light is ALWAS corrrect, so go by milage and the light

nipper

Hi,

First time subaru owner. My wife and i both love the legacy so far (can't go wrong with AWD with the winters up here).

I've never dealt with this subaru much in the past and am looking for some good sites with info on them. particularly on model info, engine specs, general vehicle specs, etc... Could somebody point me in the direction of some good sites for this?

My legacy wagon is a 2.2L, automatic. What size is the fuel tank for this particular model? I'm concerned about mileage. i'm not totally sure what the mpg should be, but we're getting around 20-ish miles to the gallon. I don't seem to remember ever putting more than 9.5-10 gallons in for a fill-up. Not sure if it's a faulty fuel guage or not.

thanks for the help ahead of time.

-mrlloyd

Must say this is the BEST site for Legacy info and DIY repair info!

Join the club...there are many here who get poorer mileage than they should on the 2.2L auto. My '98 gets 21 mpg on the highway...there are many things you can try to do to improve it, the search feature will turn up many ideas. I calculate the mileage from the odometer & the amount I add when I fill up.

Thanks for the input so far. I'll keep looking around past posts, etc.. for more info.

I've yet to see the low fuel light, but I'll try and test it out too.

Make sure you have a few gallons of gas in a can before trying this.

I attemped to "test" my Low fuel light in my new 93 wagon...It worked...1 min before the car sputtered and stalled. Out of gas. :clap: So, I CAN say that the light works...and when It comes on in mine, it's EMPTY! :D:banana:

The 30 min walk to a gas station really bit too..I'm not blowing up a AAA call for my stupidity :brow:

Of course, I got MUCH better MPG when I fixed the Transfer pump's fuel line. the car runs MUCHO better with the transfer pump hooked to the sending unit...and not the EVAP SYSTEM! :dead: Looks like the PO was not too bright :headbang::clap: