Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The saga continues... wanna hear?

Ok... let's face it... the Brat I got was pretty but a mechanical nightmare. Got the wheel bearings and spacer fixed. Changed the axle. Noise is still there. Oooo-kayyy. Next step.

My steering rack was deemed "junk" By the alignment guy. I got a nice one and new inner tie rods from Todd. We finally wiggle the old one out and one ball joint is so stuck we can't get it off... heat... WD40 190lbs. standing on it... won't budge. Tim finally has a seizure and takes a maul to it and crushes the whole works while calling it everything but a milk cow. By now, it's after noon. No parts places are open... bummer, wait til Monday to get/order new ball joints. Stay tuned.

P.S. I'm even starting to hate this car :(

don`t hate the poor brat.although, i am pretty amazed all the repairs you have had to do on it, never have seen one that had so many repairs:) sooner or later, it will become reliable again, but if you ever decide you really hate it, there is a nice home for it in NY:brow: just kidding, i know you`d never sell it.if you want a parts truck, or possibly a replacement, subafreak has his 79 up for $500.hows progress on your 86?

Jon

Awww... you know I'd never sell it. It's just so frustrating that it was in such bad shape mechanically. Apparently the two parties that swore that it was in great shape (other than the interior) were either unaware or just plain lied. This Brat was a wreck.

I makes me so mad because I'm no purist... I have dealt with "wrecks" in my lifetime... for instance: having driven one with only an emergency brake to stop, stuffing a steel wool pad up the exhaust to get on the Navy base, and another car that had to be parked on a hill to "jump" start it. I have dealt with sheeitcans all my life... I bought my first brand new car when I was 47.

The '86 is still in primer... I decided to wait til Spring for the paint... there has been construction across from us and the dirt and dust is godawful, and the weather here is not conducive to paint... we only have a plastic hut to paint in... between the wind, rain and construstion... forget it. The lights and bumpers will go back on and the exhaust will get straightened out by Lou next week. I'll drive it in primer till the spring. I don't want it to sit and go bad from not using it.

So Sunday was filled with disasters. Monday the hunt for outer tie rod ends began. I called my regular parts man, no-dice. So I called our local Subaru dealership... this is the wookie who refuses to look up old part numbers.

Ha! I thought I'd fool him by only giving a part number... right off the bat he said, "That's a bad number." Then he said, "Hmmm, it's showing up. This is for an older car." Then he said, "I don't have any."

I said, "There's one on Ebay." He asked how much... I told him $8.00 but he only has one and I need two. He said, "Well, I'll have to charge you $29.95 each.

"Sooo, can you get me a pair?" He said, "Sure... um, nope... I'm showing that there aren't any in the country."

A quick phone call to another place... I'll have them in hand tomorrow.

yeah thats kinda how the dealership is here in Reno. There IS one cool guy though that knows his older soobs and is GREAT about helping me get the right parts. I needed a radiator drain plug a while ago and everyone there couldn't get me the right one and finally the third time I went in there I got the good guy and he took 10 minutes and went into the back and found the right one.

yeah thats kinda how the dealership is here in Reno. There IS one cool guy though that knows his older soobs and is GREAT about helping me get the right parts. I needed a radiator drain plug a while ago and everyone there couldn't get me the right one and finally the third time I went in there I got the good guy and he took 10 minutes and went into the back and found the right one.

Yup, I've been lucky and dealt with him, too. There was also a woman at that counter that wasn't afraid of looking up the old stuff, but I think she's gone. Stay away from Hohl Subaru in Carson, those guys are useless, and are a total ripoff if you're lucky enough to have them lift a finger and actually find something.

(end hijack)