Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In need of engine rebild, LOTS of Q's

subynut

Me Suby is buring MAJOR oil! Like, 3/4 of a qt per fillup. Me thinks it's time to tear down the engine and do a rebuild. 204k miles, and with my kind of driving, it don't surprise me. :-/ I've never done somthing like this before. So, I have many Q's.

What's all involved?

How much time, on avarage, does this project take?

Also, what kind of part swaps can I do to get more power out of her? I think I read (long time ago) somthing about putting 1600 pistons in to boost the C.R.

And somthing about using the heads from a spfi ea82, cause they have better airflow or cam overlap, or somthin. (I do know I'll hafta swap the disty cause they're differant)

Is this so? Any other low-buck performance upgrades while I'm in there?

I'm looking to boost the low to mid rpm torque for better off roading and faster take-offs. :burnout:

Thanks

either the heads pr just the cqm can be swapped

TrashWagon's motor has a carb block and spfi heads(no emissions taps at exhaust ports), and i use the carb cams, i think.

anyway, i have a ccarb atop spfi heads, eliminated a lot of emissions ccrap, got a cherrybomb, straight pipe,2 1/2 inch, and an spfi y pipe. runs like a scalded dog.

as far as rebuilding goes, theave teh bottom ent intact, and just do the seals. if you have it apart, you might as well do the head gaskets, for good measure.

reopace the cam, oil pump seals, water pump gasket, and do new belts.

you could leave the plastic covers off completely, if you anticipate future timing belt changes(is like i do mine, no reliability issues that way)

that way all you will need to do is take off the alt/ps belts to cange a t-belt, rather than the whole front end of the motor!

as far as time goes, myself and Tomrhere, did a turbo motor, tore it out of the car, apart, new complete eals and gasket set, put it back together, and got it running and driving that night.

it can be easily done in a weekend, a day by the experienced.

just make sure you have everything you need to start with, so you have no downtime.

put about 4-6 hours for the motor, and an hour each for pulling, and installing

A day? wow!

Then there is me who spent the better part of 6 months rebuilding an EA82 SPFI. I did a LOT more then a reaseal job however.

If you have no experience in this I would set aside plenty of time becuase this is a project not a repair. You will have many more questions and a lot of trial and error.

I do not doubt you can do it but dont think you are going to do it in a weekend and have good results :)

Like someone else said this is a project not just a repair. This is what is involved:

Engine Parts 1

Engine Parts 2

This is one that I am rebuilding now, for my turbo wagon. There are some parts missing in those pics (don't have everything yet). The most time consuming part is cleaning everything. Oh yeah, that is also the least fun part. I worked on it for four hours on Sunday. In that time I got the connecting rods assembled to the the crank, crank installed in the block, and one piston in. No part of the job is especially difficult, just time consuming. Be organized, clean, and meticulous and you will have no problems. The first one that I rebuilt (ea82 SPI) has been running for 2 years now, almost 40k miles.

Good Luck!

Ok, looks like I need to find a set of spfi cams or heads. (HA! Down here? In honda infested Arizona? R..I..G..H..T.....)

Ok, one vote saying I kant.......Can anybody else confirm the 1600 pistons only work in the ea81? I thought the bores were the same between the ea81 and the ea82?:cornfuzz:

Looks like I'll be looking at a good week to a month for me. Oh well, I can borrow one of my parents trucks while I do this. :/

Toybuilder, what do you use to clean the parts?

Gots the weber and 2 1/4" cat back exhaust w/turbo muff. U can hear me comming from about a block away. :burnout:

Since I am burning oil when I step on the gas, that means rings are worn, right?

Thanks, guys!

Subaru: There IS only one.:D