Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine swap ?'s

Ok I have a loyale and it is really a dog, It's just plain slow. It is lifted 4'' but it has 195/70/14 tires on it. It barely can use 5th gear on the freeway and climbing hills is really difficult for it soo....

What is the easiest engine swap to do on a 92 loyale? and can it pass smog?

I was thinking about the er27 just for it's torque. But I'm worried about the wiring of it. Also are their websites or how to's on such a swap?

Ideas thoughts? I'm just looking at the possiblities.

i'll assume that since the vehicle has a 4 inch lift, that you are also running bigger tires.

If you're not, then you have somthing seriously wrong with your engine. even the stock motor with street tires should be adequate.

Try this same question in the Retrofitting forum. The ER27 is a good swap, its been done a few times, but you'll have to modify the radiator support, but it does bolt right onto the transmission.

Speaking of transmissions, if you havn't already, swap in a D/R tranny, that will help off road, but your 5th gear problems won't go away.

I'd swap in the EJ22, you need an adapter plate, and there are now two sources on the board, Mudrat and Hatchmonster. the wiring won't be any harder than the ER27, and if you get the info packet from www.kenedyeng.com its actually quite easy.

Good luck, in any engine choice, i'm gonna reccomend again the D/R tranny, my DL came with the same tranny yours has, and the D/R swap was the single best addition to that car for off roading

Keep in mind that unless you have an early Loyale, in many states an ER27 swap will not pass emmissions, as the swapped engine often has to be of the same year or newer than the vehicle it is being swapped into. If you can find a late XT6 and you've got an early Loyale, it's a go, though.

Even so, the EJ22 would be my swap of choice. It's incredibly reliable, plenty of power, and goes in reasonably easily.

With an adapter plate the EJ22 is actually an easier swap than the ER27, because you don't have to deal with relocating your radiator or chopping up your rad. support. And the EJ22 is definitely no slouch for torque.

I sell adapter plates, here's a thread on them:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44936

And here's my webstore:

http://mroseusa.com