Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 rx trouble

Ok i just got this Rx about 2 days ago and im already having issues. Yesterday morning when i started the car the engine idled around 2,000 rpm untill i started driving it then it went down to normal idle. now i dont know if this is normal for this car on cold starts but from past experience with cars i havent seen that. This morning i go to start it and it wont idle at all. it would just fluctuate then stall. I got it running by just giving it gas. Once i got it running it was idling just under 3,000 rpm. any ideas or suggestions? id like to settle this now before winter cuz im sure it will only get worse.

thanks

mike

Before replacing it, try cleaning the contacts.. they can get all icky .. are you getting any error codes from your ecu?.. last time my temp sensor got so gross that it affected running, It gave me an error code.. but that isn't always the case

Actually its funny that u should mention that because theres coolant leaking underneat the intake Plenum right now. The previous owner and I looked at it and it looks like its comming from one of the lines that comes from the water pump. i dont know if this could have anything to do with it.