Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weird Stalling Issue?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Steveman09

Steveman09

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Portland

Posted 12 November 2005 - 02:22 AM

Ok I have had this problem for a long time even before the E-Manage Project.

What happens is, if its cold and I start it up, it runs normal, but if I dont let it fully warm up before getting into the boost and taking off, after I let off it will mis-fire and die, then when trying to restart it has NO COMPRESSION (fuel flooded) I have to hold the throttle to the floor and crank on it for about 30seconds or so then it finally will fire back up and clear out.

What gives?

Anyone else had this problem?

I usually allways let it warm up but when I'm in a hurry and need to pull out in traffic when its cold, its annoying and I know the MPFI should figure out that it doesnt need all the fuel its dumping to keep it running.

If I dont get into the boost its fine and has no problems.

#2 Steveman09

Steveman09

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Portland

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:25 PM

Ttt

#3 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:12 PM

check theecu coolant temp sensor and connections. I imagine that could be something....also, might clean the MAF with high power brake cleaner....and check all electrical connections underhood to make sure all connections are clean, positive and secure.

#4 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:57 PM

My SPFI engine had similar symptoms this last summer. I think I had it tracked down to the coolant temp sensor like WJM said. Never had time to change it before I swapped in the EJ22, but I'm pretty sure that's what the problem was.

#5 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:49 AM

my 88 dl had the same problem and it was the coolant temp ,auto zone has them i think a nissan 200 ?? is the same sensor + alot cheaper than the dealer ,miles fox knows ,

#6 keltik

keltik

Clearly an idiot

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:03 PM

We had exactly the same problems on our 86' XT Turbo. It ended up being a combination of waaaaaay too much oil in the sump and a nakkered temperature sensor.

Check that oil! id love to know whats going wrong with yours...
KELTIK

#7 Steveman09

Steveman09

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:46 PM

This issue was resolved, it was the fuel injectors.

#8 mbrickell

mbrickell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Kansas City

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:04 PM

giveaway sounds like the cold issue. temp sensor of some kind. something is failing to tell the engine that it is indeed cold, it sounds like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users