Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

hidden surprises

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 eyesore

eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 01 October 2003 - 08:52 PM

So, in an effort to locate the source of the huge amounts of dust that come billowing in the rear of the car every time I run a gravel road, I took off the plastic wheel well panels, thinking the open areas in the body panels were the source.
My rear quarters behind the wheels are rusted out, and all that dust comes right up into the body, through the access holes, and out from behind the plastic panels sure enough.
But the surprise...some previous owner tried to fix the problem by inserting into the hole:
1: plastic realitor's sign, 1: (allmost ) empty bag of potting soil, and topping it all off...1: pair of old denim jeans. Surprise!!

I filled the hole with insulating expand-o foam, and duct-taped off all the access pannels before replacing the plastic covers. Hopefully, this will cure my dust problem.
The good news is, after pulling up the rear carpet, the floor is in pristine condition without a hint of rust. Wheelwells too. :clap:

#2 Jack in Norfolk

Jack in Norfolk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • Marblehead, MA

Posted 01 October 2003 - 09:15 PM

I have heard stories like this from VW owners.
My mom had a beetle (before I was born.) and apearantly she and my dad were out with another couple and they went through a puddle and the back seat passengers got splashed!

My uncle had a bug he was driving down the beach in NC with a buddy one time. They had been cruising along just fine when all of a sudden the bug just quit. They turned around and realized that the back seat was full of sand and for several miles back there was this trail of gouged out sand in the dunes.
that rust will sneak up on you.

#3 cyclops boy

cyclops boy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • everywhere right now

Posted 01 October 2003 - 09:39 PM

the foam is such a good idea my rockers were gone one role of silver tape and four cans of foam and presto ,! my subi is amphibous11

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 01 October 2003 - 09:57 PM

That thing about rudty buugs is true. A friend of mine has one.. lets just say she isn't the most observant person in the world.. One day she was diving along and the car quit.. no apparent reason. The floorboard under the battery had rusted out and the battery was dragging under the car, dangling by its cables!

#5 eyesore

eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 01 October 2003 - 09:57 PM

Between the rusted right front wheelwell, and the two rear ones, I now have 5 cans of foam in Eyesore. Stuff works great! Doesn't do squat to stop more rust, but I'd have to spend way more $ cutting and patching and Por-15ing than the old girl will ever be worth. Oh, well. She still runs like a top!

#6 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 01 October 2003 - 10:07 PM

my brother has a rusty 300 wagon that the rear fenders used to flap in the wind, foam and duct tape and blammo! new subauru once again

#7 PHATBRAT

PHATBRAT

Subaru Lover

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • Mt Holly, NJ

Posted 01 October 2003 - 10:14 PM

Put up the sign to sell the jeans and put them in the bag for whoever buys them...Oh yeah, Check the pockets first (I am sure you already did you poor *****) :lol:

#8 eyesore

eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 01 October 2003 - 10:23 PM

I should have, I am that poor! :boohoo:
But any $100 dollar bills in those pockets are staying there.
Those jeans were nasty :eek:

#9 PHATBRAT

PHATBRAT

Subaru Lover

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • Mt Holly, NJ

Posted 01 October 2003 - 10:45 PM

LOL!!!!

#10 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 01 October 2003 - 11:39 PM

My dad's last Soob ('89 DL wagon) came from one of his colleagues who did his own repair work...Since it looked fairly decent he didn't go over it too carefully. It was only $400, anyway. The first set of railroad tracks he went over caused what was left of the door and fender bottoms (and the Bondo therewith) to descend from the undercarriage in a most unSubie-like fashion.

Not to mention the ham sandwich under the hood, resting on the paper towel stuffed in the oil filler cap. That was one beast not worth saving.

#11 SubyWidow

SubyWidow

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Franklin

Posted 02 October 2003 - 12:20 PM

Obviously not everyone knows that if Drywall Screw and/or Duct tape can not fix it, you didn't fix it right! :D

#12 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,562 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 02 October 2003 - 12:40 PM

if ever the case with ambient dust like as in going down county roads, rull up the indows and crank up the vent, to keep positive air pressure in the car!

otherwise, having the front windows down will suck in dirt from the rusted trunk.

#13 eyesore

eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 02 October 2003 - 12:55 PM

Unfortunately, not in this case. Any / all configurations netted the same result: someone in the backseat with a shopvac full of dust on full reverse. Rolling down all 4 windows, and opening the vents worked best, but that got old. Haven't tested the car yet...hope this fixed it...

#14 eyesore

eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 02 October 2003 - 02:01 PM

Actually......I left the plastic realitor sign in, as a bottom/base for the foam. then sealed it from the outside too. Just finished cutting / sanding off the excess that oozed out, and painted to match car......not too bad.

#15 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 02 October 2003 - 02:06 PM

My poor car was clean on the top side so......,

I was undercoating it and noticed I was actually undercoating my carpet:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

BUGGY TIME! :banana:

Glenn,
82 Hatch, rust inspired Buggy!:temper:
01 Forester, better not rust!:madder:

#16 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 02 October 2003 - 02:18 PM

so is it a century 21 car now or a HuD car? :lol:

#17 eyesore

eyesore

Rocky Mtn. Road Warrior

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Centennial

Posted 02 October 2003 - 03:05 PM

ReMax....I think. It was once blue and red.....I didn't inspect it too closely.:brow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users